South West USA Camping are any campgrounds available

I am compelled to weigh in on the Alamo. Don't do it! Been to the Alamo, and I just completely don't get it. Snoozeville. There are so many better things to do...

DogBunny has a point there.

Us native-born, raised, and educated Texicans are very aware of the importance and history of the "Battle of the Alamo", seeing as how it's extensively covered in mandatory Texas state history courses, including John Wayne's "The Alamo" movie.

For folks without this indoctrination, I suppose it could be snoozeville.

Fighting your way into San Antonio, getting parking, strolling to the site, including a stroll about the Riverwalk, would burn up a full day...

One of those bucket list things. Maybe. Were more rural than urban in tastes. Got r
the texas state park app, there's a public campground app too. lol. again all suggestions are great. Starting to look forward to hitting the road for a while.

Last edited:
Hey the countdown has begun, headed out Monday. If any of the camping offers were serious a PM with a phone # and or address would be appreciated. We wouldn't darken your doorstep for more than one night, two at the very most. Again thnx to All.
Cowboy museum in Oklahoma city an early planned stop. An exhibit about the Spiro indian culture the lure.
Just saw this https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock :sneaky:

Last edited:
Enchanted Rock is very cool. And, it is very close to 2M. The only caveats are that on nice weekends it fills up fast, and they won't let you in. Also, they have annual deer hunts there, and they shut the park down for a couple of days. Several times I've gone there and been turned away for both of these reasons.
Enchanted Rock is roughly half-way between 2M's place and the town of Llano. Llano is home to Cooper's barbecue, which is one of the legendary Texas barbecue places. True world-class barbecue, in an authentic Texas barbecue setting.
https://coopersbbqllano.com/

Tough morning.
20210324_085308.jpg

Near Steves now, Enchanted Rock State Park near Fredricksburg Tx.
View attachment 187832
There are actually a couple of ponds up there that are pretty much perpetual. They are practically their own ecosystems, with tall grasses, and algaes, and various water bugs and little crustaceans in them.
My strangest Enchanted Rock story: Was at the top on a typically very hot day in the middle of summer. There were the usual many ponds, ranging from the perpetual ones to tiny ones. In one of the smallest ponds there were two minnows. Made absolutely no sense. First of all, I swear, the pond with the minnows had maybe a gallon of water in it, if that. This was the middle of summer, hadn't rained for days, sun beating down on the little pond with no shade, and the air temperature was around 100 degrees. Why that little pond hadn't long since evaporated I will never know. Secondly, what were two minnows doing in it? How did they get there? What were they eating in their one-gallon habitat?
When we got back down, we went to the ranger's H.Q. and asked how the heck two minnows had gotten up there. The ranger's were pretty excited by our report. They said they were going to go up and save them by transferring them, I don't remember if they said where to. They speculated that maybe they were the result of wind-blown minnow eggs. That's a good theory. I have seen minnows in the strangest places in Big Bend. However, if you Google "wind-blown minnow eggs," you don't get anything.
I swear this is true story. One of life's little mysteries.

Quite a day today.
Jack (Team Junk) and I met up with Gary and Allison at Coopers BBQ in Llano.
20210326_GGoetz01.jpg

Now, *there's* some good eating. All properly laid-out on gen-u-wine butcher paper, with fixins on the side.

Then headed down to Fredericksburg and walked it off on a 2-mile stroll on Main Street. Much to see and take in.
20210326_GGoetz02.jpg

Gary and Allison in front of the world famous Lucchese Boot shop.
20210326_GGoetz03.jpg

Later, headed back to "Litterbox Ranch", for some more lies and tall tales,,.....and they're settled in...

Quite a day today.
Jack (Team Junk) and I met up with Gary and Allison at Coopers BBQ in Llano.
View attachment 187881

Now, *there's* some good eating. All properly laid-out on gen-u-wine butcher paper, with fixins on the side.

Then headed down to Fredericksburg and walked it off on a 2-mile stroll on Main Street. Much to see and take in.
View attachment 187882

Gary and Allison in front of the world famous Lucchese Boot shop.
View attachment 187883

Later, headed back to "Litterbox Ranch", for some more lies and tall tales,,.....and they're settled in...

The Texas BBQ was worth the trip all in itself!
77E1E116-6ECD-4A02-A3A6-F3DA959CCCD4.png

Back