Space between carb intake manifold gaskets and motor?

Nolan_B

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well, I just ordered some new carb boots w/ gaskets for BS34s, because the old ones were cracked and possibly leaking. When I went to replace them, the old one's came off with the gaskets attached like normal, but there were still these few millimeters of rubbery old gasket looking things stuck to the motor. I was going to scrape the gunk off, but then thought that maybe those few millimeters needed to be there for the bolts to thread correctly.

Can anybody shed some light on this before I take anything off that will need to be replaced?

The motor flanges should be clean aluminum with the original milling marks visible. I like a utility knife blade (with duct tape folded over the back to protect my hand) for this task. some solvent carb cleaner rust buster to soak the remaining gasket and and any adhesive speeds and eases the removal. Some paper towel stuffed in the intake first is an excellent plan. When done vacuum and then remove the paper towel. Rotate the crank to open a valve and you can get a pretty good look at your faces seats with the intakes off....

Back