Speedo/instruments swap

tzimmerm

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So, last night I bolted on the new speedo I bought from JimD54, and it works great. Looks a lot better on the bike, too. The orange numerals and orange illumination are so much clearer to see than the white numerals and green illumination on my stock instruments. The chrome housings are definitely sharp too. Thanks again, Jim.
I want to get everyone’s input on a few things, though. There are two pigtails of wires coming from the back of both speedos. Each has two wires. I removed my headlight and sorted through the rats nest of wires to carefully rewire my new speedo one wire at a time. One pigtail had blue and black wires with bullet connectors. I just matched color to color, one at a time, and the illumination in the speedo works. The other pigtail has a white striped wire and I believe a black wire, (I’m writing this at work) but here’s my issue- these wires on the “new” speedo come to a plastic connector, and the stock wiring in my bucket and stock speedo is all bullet connecters. It seems a shame to cut the stock plastic connecter off the nice working speedo to replace with bullet connecters but I don’t really see a way around it. The only alternative I can think of would be to use a couple splice connectors with new wires/bullet connecters. I know they’re kind of ghetto but then if I ever wanted to swap speedos again I could just remove the splices and I wouldn't have completely butchered the nice Stock connecter.
Thoughts?
Also, the new speedo lights up as soon as I turn the key, whereas the old one, (and the stock Tach that I havent swapped out yet), dont light up until I turn the lights on. I am assuming that after I connect the remaining wires that maybe that will fix that issue. The other question I have is about rhe placement of the ignition tumbler. My stock 77 cluster has the ignition key built into it. The cluster that came with the complete setup I bought from Jim does NOT have a place for a key, but I think it looks a LOT better, and I would rather use the whole setup. Where/how do I relocate my key to? Is there a key switch mount I can buy somewhere?

Last edited:
If you pop the instruments out of their shells or housings, you'll see that the small lights (illumination, idiot) are in little rubber sockets that snap into the backs of them. No need to cut off and change plugs, just swap the whole little wire and socket looms. Put your original '77 bulb sockets/wiring looms in the new instruments. That should restore normal light operation (not with key, just with on-off switch). Not sure why you're getting a key on light now. You must have it hooked to a key switched power wire.

It doesnt make sense that the light is on now though, because I 1. unhooked the blue wire from the old speedo, 2. plugged in the blue wire from the new. 3. Unhooked black from old, 4. installed Black from new. One at a time in the same holes. I also don’t understand what the other pigtail is even for off the speedo. If the light bulb for illumination is two wires, pos and neg, what are the other two wires in their seperate pigtail even used for?

There's a reed switch in the speedo that hooks to the turn signal self canceling unit. It's supposed to shut the signals off after you travel a certain distance. That would be the other pigtail, the black and the white/green.

Great! Ok now I know what it is, but I still can’t figure out why my speedo light is on. I suppose I’ll try your idea and take everything back off and just swap the wires to the new speedos so there’s no wiring confusion or hacking. Good call 5Twins. Does anyone know if those reed switches are interchangeable from year to year? Hoping I can just swap those too.

Thanks again, Jim.
Glad you're happy with 'em.:)
As has already been said... swap as much of the original harness as you can from the old gauges so the colors match and go from there. You'll get it sorted soon enough.

yes all reed switches are the same, the wire ends may change year to year.

When i did my gauge change i cut the wire far enough back so i could install bullet connectors in the gauge loom so it could be put back and use the connector if needed. It is then a plug and play from your loom to the gauge loom

This should be your 78/79 rev counter gauge set up
P1030828 1.jpg

Back