spoked wheels prep and paint question

imncrxtc

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up guys..this may have been mentioned in other treads, but i want to clean my wheels and send them to get painted....my question is..what can i do to prep them??
light sand..if so..what grit?

thanks

whoever you send them out to should prep them before paint. sand paper will scratch, you should use 0000 steal wool oven cleaner and lots of elbow grease. oh and meth.

Im sending them to a friend...he asked that i prep them.
is 0000 the brand name...or the weight of steel wool?
and sorry...meth?

its refers to the fineness, ask for four ought steel wool or you'll see four zeros highlighted on the bag. great for anything chrome too. and remember that the chemical is harmful use gloves if you dont want messed up fingers. im assuming he will hit it with acetone before he paints, if not you should. welcome to the forum. what are you building?
oh the meth is so you stay on task and do one hell of a job. {dont do meth}

i figured that's what the meth was for..:thumbsup:

its a 1980 xs650, its a bobber right now, picked it up a few weeks ago, and id like to go more of the cafe route...
im beating my brain on what color scheme i want for the fenders and tank...ive seen nice blues, army greens...oranges, but leaning more towards a darker silver. Definitely black wheels....or maybe red.

nice you should start a build thread and post a link here. also you could photo shop your bike different color schemes and post them and get opinions from other builders to get the ball rolling.

i prepped my wheel shells ans hubs like this, the stock chrome front shell i used a mini d/a with 180 grit. Then switched to 320 and a red scuff pad. soap and water wash and dry.

The rear shell was aluminum so i hit it with 320 and red pad then washed, the same with both hubs.

mine dont have any miles on them but my spoke wrench didnt peel any paint off during assembly and truing

Back