Spring or hardmount seat on softtail??

bkaushansky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Looking for opinions and experience. I going to mount a solo seat on a bent seat rail frame with 2.4" of bump travel in the swing-arm. I can go hard mount to the frame or float the seat on springs. Thought it might be goofy running spring seat on a spring rear end....

Thoughts??
B.

Thank you. Sometimes you just need to ask...........

But hey, this is my first bike build. Anyone need a race car designed and built :)

Just one dissenting vote. I have a solo seat with springs and longer than standard shocks on the rear of my '79 mildly cafed XS Special II. I like the way it feels on my old buns and I don't think it looks too bad either.

Why do you care what the rest of us knuckle heads think. Do what looks right to you.

then post pics so we can tell you it looks like crap and you should have done it our way!

Adams77, you know why I asked, well I'll tell you.....

19 year ago I rode a 600cc crotch rocket. Got bored. Turbo charged the piss out of it. Then stopped riding. Went on to build open wheel open cockpit cars for a few years. Flash forward to now. "Acquired" a xs650. Don't know jack about cruisers, chops, bobbers. Only had the scoot since june. The point I'm trying to make I'm still trying to figure things out. Fabrication is the easy part. Style, well that comes from experience.

btw, if you want to see some of my not so recent handiwork, here's was my 285hp 1.8L supercharge mini without any bolt-ons!!! Video of me passing a 911 turbo on Pocono's road coarse is extra.

Attachments

• Mini.JPG
    Mini.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 112
skip ALL of the springs.. do like I did. LOL makes a great bar-hopper... after 40 or so miles my butt is so numb I can't feel the bumps anymore... lol

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 128
Can't imagine bar hopping in cycling shorts on that ride. :eek:

I needs me some cushion. I still have my formula atlantic carbon seat hanging in my garage. If you ever want to feel like a sardine in a can, stuff yourself into one of those for 4-5 hours. Talk about lack of cushion. Oh, the younger days.

bkaushqnsky, bugger im in the middle of mounting a spring seat on a soft tail frame , so far i dont think it looks like shit, but hope its comfortable to ride without having 6 in of padding.

cruza, would love to see final product.

Rode this weekend just to jam up caliper piston. Seat will have to wait. Who said having a 30 yr old bike isn't fun.........

Yea mate will try and get a coupla pics this weekend.Itll just be a frame, tank and seat tho, unfinished ,rat fashion.

Back