Spring rate 70/100 vs 80/120

whynot2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've decided my new in '06 "Sport" shocks on my '81 H are too stiff. I don't know what the spring rate is on them, but I know they are stiffer than my progressive suspension 80/120 on my '80 SG. Sometimes I think the "Sports" have all the travel of 2X4's, but I know they do move. I asked someone to bounced up and down on the bike, although he claimed they didn't move, I saw that they did. I'm sure the "Sport's" are very good for two up riding, but I digress. Does any one have any experience with progressive suspension series 14 shock with spring rate of 70/100? Too soft? I would order the recommended for XS650 spring rate of 80/120, but I have those on my '80 and have always kept them on the softest setting and still only have an inch of sag, which is perfect except I have no softer setting.
So basically my question is, " Has anyone found the spring rate of 70/100 too soft?"
Thanks,
whynot2

I think it would depend on how much you weigh. If you're like 160 lbs, they'd probably be fine. If you're closer to 200, they may be too soft.

I talked with a c.s. rep at Progressive Suspension today, explaining I wanted to set the bike up for a 140 lb person, but still be able to use the bike myself (185 lb). He said that it would not be a problem. That the preload adjustment would compensate, but I might have to use the maximum setting.
thanks,
whynot2
'80 SG, '81 H

Your spring sag should match front to back. A sag of 25 mm or 1 inch is good for a more aggressive style of riding. A sag of around 35 mm is very plush. Not so good for aggression but great for cruising.
You use the preload adjustment of the rear shock to set the sag.
On the front you change spacers under the fork caps to adjust sag
With it set up for the lighter rider you might want to use a spring rate that gives that person the right sag with the adjuster set to the lower end of adjustment, then when you ride you can just adjust the perload up a notch or three.
Leo

Back