SR400 Seat / Frame vs 650

The way the front hooks with two hooks, looks alot like the Special seats hooks. THe strap across the back should be easy to make hook to the frame. Not a bad price either.

I actually like the way that looks, a lot. Is there enough room on it to ride two-up? It looks like there is.

Is it comfortable? Quality construction?

I'd call it a seat and a half. I'd hate to ride two-up....rider would be on the tank and passenger on the frame loop. There's not a whole lot of padding, wouldn't want to start out cross-country on it. I got it entirely for it's looks. Mine came from the outfit in Japan. At that time they wouldn't ship to the US. A buddy's brother was stationed on Okinawa and spoke the language. He bought it and shipped it to me. Maybe they'll ship here now.
Gruff

Thanks for the response. What did you do to get it on the bike? Any major welding/fabrication, or just minor stuff a totally amateur fabricator could pull off?

Depends...minor to one can be major to another. The stock hinge brackets and seat latch/lock will have to be removed if your seat has the side hinge. If you're not wanting to butcher a stock frame, you might want to find another seat. Can't tell you about the lift off seat frames, although that seat does have 2 tongues in the front similar to the stock lift off seat. It may be easier to install on one of the later frames.
Gruff

I have no problem grinding my hinges off and fashioning a bracket for the seat.

Do you happen to still have the seat? Could you measure the length of the pan for me?

Thanks!
Adam

According to the sticker on the seatpan(fiberglass or plastic) my seat is part # SR-006 Bk.That # is not on any of the pics in your link. The closest I can find is No:NT0228BK SR. Mine is 22.5" long, 7.75" wide in front, and 10.5" at it's widest. It does fit down over the frame rails, coming up just short of the rear frame loop. Still trying to find the pic of the bike in OZ that turned me on to it. I'll try to get some pics of mine today. I may have to send them straight to you, not to sure how to post pics here. Hope this helps.
Gruff

Just found an old e-mail from jambob. The website must have been updated 'cuz I can't see any seats on that page, but maybe his description will help.
Gruff

Re: sr400 seat
« Message sent on Jan 20, 2007, 5:01am » [Reply]
[Delete]
Hi Gruff,

The seat can be found on this following website... looks like it comes in black... the black part number being 90-949015

http://g-t.co.jp/parts/P_428.php

The shop I bought it from is here in australia ( www.deusexmachina.com.au ) but they don't have an online store. plus they are way more expensive anyway....

You will need a japanese friend to navigate/order it for you... I could get one for you here in OZ and post it to you... think I paid around AU$350... certainly not cheap!!! but I love it, and don't regret it. I wanted a very slim seat that would still comfortably carry 2. and its been great.

Best bet would be to find someone who speaks the language and order is direct from japan... its only US$140 then.

Fitting wise... i just bent the 2 front pegs on the new seat, and they slipped straight into the mounting holes on my 81 special. if your xs has the hinged seat you will need to find another way.

I still haven't done anything about screwing the back down, it comes with mounting screws, but the SR must be different... on the XS the screw holes line up with the top of the shock mounts, and I don't want to drill through that section of the frame! I was going to make an adapter... when I get around to it.

But it fits the frame rails perfectly, and the back of the seat sits just inside the loop on the back of the frame. I ground off all the mounting tabs and supports for the original seat, just for looks.

If you want more pics let me know.

Jambob

Thanks for the replies! I found the seat jambob was talking about on this page:

http://www.g-t.co.jp/american_single/php/page.php?file=P428_1&index=P428&url_2=1059

You can scroll down and find it pretty easily, the part numbers are in order.

I think I'm a little more partial to 90-949022. I'm sure they're built off the same pan and would fit the same way.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your seat. Thanks again for all your help.

Back