Stock stup, Running way to rich

r570sv

XS650 Member
Reaction score
80 something heritage special. BS34 carbs. vacuum petcock.

Only had the thing running for a few minutes a year ago before taking it apart to clean it up (Didn't rebuild the engine.).

Problem with the left side not firing. Right side, at least at idle and start up works fine. Left side - wet exhaust and exhaust kinda getting warm.

I'm coming from the point of view that at one time this thing was all running right and if I don't change anything other than clean up it should be running again. Big assumption I know.

Ok here's what I'm seeing. Left side won't run until I pull the vacuum hose of the intake gasket leaving a big vacuum leak, THEN it starts firing and running good at idle.

So running WAY rich.

I've mucked with the idle screw and I've tried everything from 1/2 turn to 2 1/2 turns no difference. Rubber o-ring is good on the idle screw (I had to use the dremal cut-a-slot method to get it out, genius BTW whoever came up with that).

Ideas here?

Check the float level, inspect the condition of the o-ring on the float needle seat, and insure the rubber plug is in place over the pilot jet. Any one of those can cause rich running.

Check the float level, inspect the condition of the o-ring on the float needle seat, and insure the rubber plug is in place over the pilot jet. Any one of those can cause rich running.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I rushed this thread. I read the carb guide after I posted this.

Floats were off 19mm (so way to high). And I found the needle jet laying in the bottom of the float bowl of the carb giving me trouble. I don't believe I ever took it out when I went through the carbs. set them to 24mm per the guide.

When I removed the carbs there was gas laying in the intake manifold on both sides.

O rings on pilot jet in place, didn't check the float seat needle because I didn't want to fight getting the float bowl pins out today.

Try to make sure that both butterfly's were in sync by holding them up to the light and made the adjustment on the center screw.

Re assembled and both sides fired right up.

Now the idles to high even with the butterfly's all the way shut.

I'm running without air cleaners and noticed when I choke off the right side (hold my hand over the intake), the engine will die, it won't when I do the left side.

I've cranked in the idle mixture screw almost all the way in on both and it doesn't have much of an effect on the idle speed. Throttle cable isn't binding and working really well.

I haven't had a chance to do the dead cylinder testing yet.

I'm gonna re-read the carb guide and take it a step at a time.

Now I'm wondering about the choke. Mine came with a handlebar mounted choke which I'm not using. I have the choke tied up open - no choke on. (need to check here which way is on)

Just to make sure - is having the choke 'off' having the choke pulled all the way to the left side of the bike (when sitting on the bike)

Man was I a dumb sh*&. I've been running with the chock on. DOH! No cable connected to it I had zip tied it open way back when so that it would keep idling. Now it will idle, and all sorts of other issues.

If I never would of wrote this out in a post I never would of had that eureka moment.

Back