Swapping Rear Wheel Advice Needed: From 16" to 17" or 18"

got some pics from nutt today. Still working out the details.... but....

I think I may have learned something inadvertently..... by no fault of my own im sure...

correct me if im wrong....

the difference between MY rim...what I need.....Is that my rim has the raised area in the center of the rim where the spokes protrude through and go to meet the hub. Of these two wheels I've included, one is flat in the center spoke area and one is raised...... the side wall of one is wider/taller than the other as well.

Is this my main thing to notice to make sure I get the correct rim ? Shorter side wall and raised center.

Forgive my novice-ness. Im up to speed with tons of xs650 stuff but I've never gotten into any wheel changes...still soaking up knowledge after all these years.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

• 18 inch ebay wheel.jpg
    18 inch ebay wheel.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 128
  • xs-rim5.jpg
    xs-rim5.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 160
Your 1st pic has a raised center, you just can't see it because the tall side flanges are in the way. Pretty much all rims have that raised center for the spokes. Your 1st pic is also the alloy "H" type pattern, not what you're looking for apparently. Here's a better shot of the "H" type showing the raised center and high side flanges .....

33TSprocket.jpg

Big thing to watch is number of teeth on the rear sprocket since changing the rear wheel from 18 to 16 or the other way around does change the gearing of the transmission. So it can cause it to have a higher top speed but suffer lack of fast take off at the line

The change in gearing is so minimal that it can be ignored. Here is a spreadsheet that shows the difference in RPM vs MPH for all combinations of gearing and wheel sizes:

RPM vs MPH

In this example, the REVS at 60 MPH are 4170 with a 16" rear wheel vs 4117 with a 18" wheel and a 17/34 sprocket setup. Those numbers are with the rolling distance from Bridgestone S11 "Spitfire" tires for both sizes. Your results may vary depending on which tire you choose and the wear of that tire, tire pressure etc.

Your 1st pic has a raised center, you just can't see it because the tall side flanges are in the way. Pretty much all rims have that raised center for the spokes. Your 1st pic is also the alloy "H" type pattern, not what you're looking for apparently. Here's a better shot of the "H" type showing the raised center and high side flanges .....

33TSprocket.jpg

Thanks 5twins. I think the raised center is a bit more pronounced on my correct wheel...at least in the photos... I don't have two I can compare in person, but it seems to stand out a bit in all the pics I can find.

I can now recognize the difference visually between the two different profiles so im pretty sure I can buy the correct wheel. Wanted to make sure I was on the right path.

Im getting there...

Thanks

I don't think the height of the raised center varies much between the two rim styles because the same spokes are used on both. If there was a big difference, they'd probably have different longer and shorter spoke sets for the two types of rims.

I don't think the height of the raised center varies much between the two rim styles because the same spokes are used on both. If there was a big difference, they'd probably have different longer and shorter spoke sets for the two types of rims.

Probably no real difference, it just appears a bit more in the photos...im sure it must be an optical illusion. the taller side wall maybe makes it seem like the center isn't as pronounced... Either way, I now know that I can tell the difference between what I do and don't need.

Thanks everyone.

And I still.....haven't found.......what im looking for......

Wheel profile, spokes, and my hub... Would this wheel and spoke set mate with my rear brake hub.

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/19-0060.html
https://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-1902.html
https://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-0009.html

2.15 vs. 1.85 opinions......?

I know its the different profile from my current rims, but I may replace both front and rear to match. Seems like the alloy rims are easier to find.

Would this wheel and spoke set mate with my front wheel hub.

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-1802.html
https://www.mikesxs.net/product/19-0061.html

thanks guys...I got a sick puppy. going to the vet. I'll check in later today.

Yes, those parts will mate up with your hubs. I would stick with a 2.15 rear rim, that's what the original size was. 1.85 is the correct and original size for the front. And you're the sick puppy, lol ..... just kidding.

Thanks 5 twins. After looking at availability and cost it seems more logical to put my money and effort into new wheels and spokes. I have a wheel balance stand at home and I have a guy at my local shop who can true and torque the spokes for me for cheap if I lace it up for him. Once I nail down my wheels and design / build my custom seat shes coming apart for blasting and paint.

At this point I'll probably do new alloy wheels and stainless spokes. Looking into new shocks as well.

I appreciate all the help everyone.

Back