Swapping Rear Wheel Advice Needed: From 16" to 17" or 18"

I had occasionj to revisit my RPM vs MPH Excel spreadsheet and corrected the nominal rolling distance for the 16" rear wheel. It is essentially the same as the 18" (1" difference)

Click here for the spreadsheet > RPM vs MPH

RPM at 60 MPH for the 18" wheel is 4117 vs 4170 for the 16" with stock 17/34 sprockets.

When calculating RPM vs MPH, you have to use rolling distance as there is no way to calculate or measure the effective diameter or the effective circumference of a motorcycle tire. Rolling distance is the distance that the motorcycle moves forward for one revolution of the rear wheel.

You are a fountain of knowledge Pete

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-1906.html

Wheel

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/19-0064.html

Spokes

This seems like it could be a good option if Im not wrong...but....Would this wheel and spoke set work for me? I believe it would.

After doing some research, it appears there are no real issues with the Mikes 18" wheels and spokes, but lots of problems with the 16" ones.

Whats your opinion. I like new and stainless vs old and rusty...

I would plan to do the front too sometime soon and so they would both look like I wash my bike sometimes.....

$29 is a heck of a deal for a new rim but if I'm not mistaken, you don't have the 48 spoke Heritage wheels. You have the standard 36 spoke type wheels. The 48 spoke set and 48 spoke rim aren't going to fit on your 36 spoke hub.

The only difference between the 16" and 18" rear wheels is the diameter of the rim and the spoke lengths. The hubs are the same. All you need is 18" rear wheel spokes, there's no special kit.

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/19-0060.html

However, the rim you linked to will fit but won't match your front. It is alloy and has the "H" pattern. Your front is steel and has the "WM" pattern. Also something to consider is that it's said that it's not a good idea to mismatch wheels, one alloy and one steel, or one cast mag and one spoke. They flex differently and may cause handling problems. But people do it all the time. Harley even sold bikes that way. You probably wouldn't have any issues just putting around town.

Boy, wheels for these things have gotten really expensive. It would probably be worth your while buying a whole beat up parts bike for a couple hundred dollars, just to get the wheels.

Maybe,... If I remember correctly... its the TX's that has the larger hub...

I definitely want to match the front and rear. Thanks for the profile pattern 5twins.

Seems like used wheels that need tons of cleaning and maybe new spokes are selling for the same as new wheels and spokes. Didn't really want to go new but don't want to spend hours and hours cleaning wheels to a decent look either.

BUT, If anyone knows, or has, an 18" rear wheel to get rid of, let me know. I'll bite on the right deal, otherwise I'll do a couple other things and save this for later.

Its gonna get done, but it has to be right. NO rush.

Thanks Everyone

Your thinking of the TX 750 hub. The TX 650 hub is the same as the others from 70-81.
In fact it wouldn't matter if you got a TX750 rear wheel in good nick because they were an 18" rear as well and will bolt straight in to the XS650 swingarm. It is the spokes for that wheel that are harder to find

Honestly, I'd pass on a 750 wheel, especially that one. For that kind of money, I'd expect it to be complete, with brake, axle, and all spacers, maybe even the chain adjusters. As mentioned, spokes for that wheel are hard to come by. I doubt you'd find stainless ones. You'd have to get them custom made probably at someplace like Buchannan's, at $100+.

The TX750 wheels are a neat upgrade, but not $300+ per wheel neat, lol.

Honestly, I'd pass on a 750 wheel, especially that one. For that kind of money, I'd expect it to be complete, with brake, axle, and all spacers, maybe even the chain adjusters. As mentioned, spokes for that wheel are hard to come by. I doubt you'd find stainless ones. You'd have to get them custom made probably at someplace like Buchannan's, at $100+.

The TX750 wheels are a neat upgrade, but not $300+ per wheel neat, lol.

I agree. Gonna stay on the lookout for a 70-73 chrome on steel. Or I may still consider a new rim and spokes.

You guys rule. I appreciate all the help. Im looking to do some work on her this year and im going to need all the advice I can get. :thumbsup:

Thanks WR,

I pm'd him about it. I may need to find some OEM spokes..

What would be best for cleaning a dirty rim like that?

If you're lucky, that's just oil and grease fling-off from the chain and should wipe off with solvent. If that is what it is then you may be lucky again in that it protected the chrome from rusting. I would inquire about the chrome's condition. If there's any rust spots deep enough to have pitted and/or bubbled the chrome, the finish is basically toast. You won't be cleaning that up with polish.

Rust on the inner side of a steel rim is pretty common and not usually a problem. The mounted tire and tube tend to trap moisture in there. I wire wheel the heck out of it to remove all the rust then brush paint it with a good primer like Rustoleum. Brush painting is fine in an area like this because you never see it and it gives good, thick coverage.

No reply to my PM yet but ill let you all know how it goes.

That's great info 5twins, thanks a lot. I like the idea of sealing the inside with the primer.

Got a reply from Nutt. He's gonna send me some more pics. Says it was on a runner. He took it off to go to black rims.

Just an update.

Anyone know of any issues with Mikes Spokes fitting OEM rims...vs their own....

I will try for OEM spokes first if I can find em.

There have been no problems reported with Mike's 18" rear or 19" front spokes, only their 16" rears. I've used both their cad plated and stainless on both front and rear stock rims with no problems. When I started renovating wheels for my XS 8 or 10 years ago, I went with Mike's cad spokes. The reason was I could do two to three wheels in cad for the price of one in stainless. Today, those cad spoked wheels are starting to look a little shabby. I do only stainless anymore.

O.E.M. spokes, while no doubt of higher quality than the Mike's replacements, are still cad plated. Originals never came in stainless. The $70 to $75 cost of Mike's stainless spokes is actually quite reasonable as far as stainless spoke prices go. Stainless spokes for other brand bikes are usually $100+ per set.

That's what my research revealed as well,,,,,..... Lots of threads on the issues with the 16" ones, but I didn't want to miss anything.

thanks for the verification....

A quality OEM rim and New stainless spokes would be acceptable. May even go ahead and do the front spokes to so they match.

Back