tail light

goodfella961

New to Yamaha XS650
Reaction score
I have had some problems with my tail light blowing bulbs a few times a week. Took it to the shop and everything checks out when they ran tests. The brake light continues to work after the tail light bulb blows. I put a new bulb in today and the light stays on even when the light switch is off...I did however have to get a bulb from autozone so not sure if a car bulb makes a difference. The bulbs seemed to be the same size. Anybody have any input?

Last edited:
Check your charging system. If it's overcharging, bulbs will blow. (not likely on an XS650, but a credible answer) Car bulb should be the same.

OK I will check that out...just thought it was strange that was the only bulb that would blow...and the back brake light still works. Now the new bulb is in as of today and it is working fine but the brake light is not working...it looks as if the brakes are being used even though they are not. I say this because it seems awfully bright.

There's an adjustment that lets you change when the light comes on for the rear brake. If it's not adjusted right the brake light can be on all the time. You seem to be describing bits of several issues; I'm not really following.

OK so over the past 2 weeks I have been blowing the rear tail light constantly. But the brake lights still worked... Ran tests and everything electrical seemed fine.
Today I put a bulb in from autozone - tail light works but when I squeeze the brake it does not get any brighter.

If it's a single bulb, it should be dual filament, one for the running rear light and one for the brake light. Not sure what ya got going on there, though I had an early style tail-lamp(roundie) that had a bad lamp housing ground that kept blowing bulbs.

Last edited:
Look at the bulb without the red cover on and you should be able to tell which filaments are lit up, if you look carefully. Regarding the other thing, sure it's possible for one filament to be burned out and the other still work.

Figured out that it was the voltage - is not putting out the proper charge, so I guess I am getting a new regulator. Hopefully no more blown tail lights, and a working brake light!! My battery has been staying fully charged though...I have not had to use a battery tender for months, hopefully I will not get stranded somewhere!!

What tail light are you using? If the bulb fits loose in the socket the vibration can blow the bulb. Try squeezing the socket so the bulb is a snug fit. Any 1157 bulb will be ok to use. They are the same car, bike whatever.
How did you decide the voltage was wrong? What regulator are you using?

I am using the 1157 bulb, but tried lower voltage bulb as well. Some friends said it was not putting out the right amount of charge. The regulator is really old, not sure what it is.

Is your regulator stock? The older mechanical, or the later combo reg/rec?
The older mechanical regulators can overcharge when you run the bike at the higher speeds for very long.
Upgrading from the old mechanical to a solid state is a very good idea. I did on my 75. The regulator and a bit other small parts ran about $20.

The regulator looks stock...it is old as hell if not. We ordered one today for 100. i took a long ride today and had to push my bike a few blocks to charge up the battery. It was 75 out today here in richmond. Couldnt resist a long ride.

What year is your bike? If you went to a parts store and got a 75 dodge dart regulator you would have saved $83.

I have a 75. Wish i had known about saving money. I would have never thought about a dodge dart regulator. I will consult you next time.

I didn't figure it out, Pamcopete did. I might suggest looking around the forum or asking before buying something. Checking the tech section is a good place to start.

I will definitly check the forum before buying next time. I thought it was a vibration issue at first but it definitly seems to be the voltage regulator.

Thanks

Back