Tank mounting???

remmy1101

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I have to decide how to mount my tank... I have a sporty and was going to just weld some round stock below the top tube up front and notch another piece and weld below the tube for the back but I bet you guys have some better methods.
Also how many of you are using rubber mounts?

Yeah, there are a couple of other methods on there that would work just as well. I figured you might find one that would work.

I can't believe Teebs would give advice on how to mount a Sporty tank! Are you getting soft? My tank was mounted with a tube under the frame at the front, and a tube through the frame at the rear.

Hehe...I just used a couple of grommets and self tapping screws w/wahers on the front and zip tied the back. Did a 150 mile shake down w no probs..threw a couple of extra zip ties in the tool bag just in case...lol.

Attachments

• xs650 006.jpg
    xs650 006.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 101
Hey, just because I think it's suckage, doesn't mean I won't tell you how to make it suck in the best/easiest way possible... just bungee the fucker on there, it can't look any worse... (That shit made me literally LOL) :laughing:

teebs I went with your weld-nut mount job I wanted the tank to sit lower in the front but o well that was to much work I might change it down the road
any suggestions for the headlight bracket?

Well, if you go to this page: Teebs' XS project and scroll to the second-to-last post, there are pics of my mounting bracket. I used the preexisting holes on both fork clamps, but you could use just one. a small "L" shaped piece welded to a large "U" would give you a simple mounting bracket. Or simplify my idea and instead of all that round stock use 1/8" flat stock and make some nice speed holes in it.

Your other option of course is to make or buy the "ear" style that clamp to your fork tubes:
2007_MC_Enterprises_Universal_Headlight_Bracket_--.jpg

though, you probably already know that.

Back