Tappet cover studs stripped.

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
One came completely out, looks like it was helicoiled, and one or two I can just feel will spin if I tighten it enough. So I have them all really close but still need to stop a slight leak. I'm thinking gasket sealer, cause it's not under presser and it's not leaking bad right now. I put a little fatter O ring on the one w stripped stud. They all have gaskets to. So short version, what sealer is recommended ?

Also any help on getting an air mix screw, stripped head and frozen out of a bs34?

Last edited:
I feel your pain I have two of the tappet studs that were a Bain of my existence; not really but you get my meaning. Try carefully running the right size tap to make new groves and add the red thread lock. My tappet covers were leaking until I got the right size o-rings instead of using the Athena gasket kit o-rings. They were Buna 90 O-rings 62 x 3 mm, sku 623MMB90 from oringsandmore. The brass air fuel screws are very soft and easy to drill out, but you need a tiny drill but since you don’t want to enlarge the hole of the carb throat. My advice take your time drill shortly and check frequently.

Back