TCI harness not matching

drtyjers

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some help with the TCI unit. I purchased one with the thought that all TCI boxes were the same from 80-83 well apparently their not. The unit I purchased has a 8 pin harness (7 wires) and the harness on the bike is a 6 pin. All the wires match up for the 6 coming from the bike.

Question is will the TCI unit work and what should I do with the extra wire coming out of the TCI unit? The bike is a 81 and I think the TCI came from a 83 heritage.

Thanks in advance!
Jake

Attachments

• main tci.jpg
    main tci.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 129
  • harness tci.jpg
    harness tci.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 109
The extra wire on the later one is for the kickstand switch, which the earlier bike doesn't have. It might be a straight swap otherwise, but I'm not sure. But I am sure there's some way to use it. I believe you can just leave the kickstand switch wire disconnected.

Thanks! Waiting on the regulator/rectifier and will try to fire it up. This is my first build. I owned a few street bikes over the last few years with the last being a Suzuki TL1000r (v-twin). Decided to try something different and a bit more tame with a wife and kids to worry about these days. I love the many possibilities the xs has to offer so I pulled the trigger.

Got the bike with 10,000 miles for $700 with a clean title. Not sure the direction of it yet beyond a hardtail. I will try to take pictures along the way and start a build thread shortly.

Thanks,
Jake

If somebody who's swapped them before doesn't chime in, what I would do is find a schematic using each version and compare the color codes and verify what goes to where. biker.net has a factory manual that includes a schematic for an '81. I've seen a kickstand switch version schematic around too.

If you can't make that one work, I have a six-pin that I recently bought that I don't need. PM me if you want to talk. Dave

xjwmx is correct. The 7 th wire (black/white) was for the sidestand/neutral interlock, which you don't have so that wire will not be used. Just make sure that wire is insulated from ground, because a ground will disable the TCI. Otherwise, the TCI wiring should be the same for 80 to 83 years.

Wiring semantics In the tech menu under electrical and look at "650 wiring diagrams"

Attachments

• 10703-1981_xs650h_sh.jpg
    10703-1981_xs650h_sh.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 111
  • 10703-1982_xs650j_sj_sk.jpg
    10703-1982_xs650j_sj_sk.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 142
Thanks guys! I'll make sure it doesn't ground! And I must of missed the 82 diagram when looking through the schematics! Appreciate the help and I'm sure it will not be the last time I run into something that baffles me. The site is great and members as well!
Jake

i was hoping to get some help with the tci unit. I purchased one with the thought that all tci boxes were the same from 80-83 well apparently their not. The unit i purchased has a 8 pin harness (7 wires) and the harness on the bike is a 6 pin. All the wires match up for the 6 coming from the bike.

Question is will the tci unit work and what should i do with the extra wire coming out of the tci unit? The bike is a 81 and i think the tci came from a 83 heritage.

Thanks in advance!
Jake

jake, i need a seven wire harness for an 82 heritage special. Would be willing to buy it off you! A little late i know, but just joined xs650 forum. If not willing to sell, could you tell me where you got it from. Thanks gshuflat

I got mine from e-bay, but bought the whole unit. I'm sure someone here has one they are willing to part with for little or no money. You should post in the Classified section.

Back