TCI Ignition Question

Pandorasglocks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone familiar with the stock TCI ignition system. Is item 16 on this picture a part of said system? I am installing a pamco system and wondering if I can remove it/leave it there. Will it harm my bike if I just leave it in place and snip the wires? I ask because whoever owned it before me rivited the unit in place :doh: and idk if I want to drill into it and risk hitting the rotor. Thanks!

Item 16 isn't a part of the Pamco system. I would like to have it, if you don't need it, because I'm looking for a spare. It's not riveted probably, just a special kind of screw it came with. You remove it by grinding the head off. It won't hurt anything if you leave it there.

Yeah, that's the pickup. Like xjwmx said, you can grind the heads off them mounts and when you move the pickup off the alt there'll be enough of the screws left there that you can grab the remainder with a pair of pliers and turn 'em out. Should be a connector to the harness too, no need to snip the wires.

+2 for remove and don't snip the wires, offer it on here or fleabay it. Help keep others running.

Ok finally got to taking a closer look:

The inner "screw" looks like a rivet to me. The outer screw has some kind of epoxy all over it. Looks like removing the pickup coil will have to wait until the motor comes out. I just don't feel like risking damage to my rotor at this point.

Back