Tearing down the bottom end...

YOURADHERE

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive got a 72 that Ive ruled a shifting problem down to worn shift drum/forks. I dropped the engine and a manual over to a mechanic buddy of mine and he'll do the repairs. He called me last night asking about accessing the transmission since the manual was a bit vague. So Ive got a multi-part question.

1) Does the clutch need to be pulled to remove the lower half of the case? He's located 13 of the 14 nuts holding the lower half on and seems to believe the last one is behind the clutch. And does the cam chain need to be removed to access the transmission? If the cam chain does need to be removed can the chain be undone with a chain breaker on any link or is there a master link in it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :bow:

Ive got a 72 that Ive ruled a shifting problem down to worn shift drum/forks. I dropped the engine and a manual over to a mechanic buddy of mine and he'll do the repairs. He called me last night asking about accessing the transmission since the manual was a bit vague. So Ive got a multi-part question.

1) Does the clutch need to be pulled to remove the lower half of the case? He's located 13 of the 14 nuts holding the lower half on and seems to believe the last one is behind the clutch. And does the cam chain need to be removed to access the transmission? If the cam chain does need to be removed can the chain be undone with a chain breaker on any link or is there a master link in it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :bow:

1 yes there is a stud/nut behind it
2 no the crank is separate from the trans , there is a master link best to find it and break there but not needed to do in this case

Strange, for some reason I always thought there were 18 Lower Case nuts and bolts.

4 upper bolts 14 nuts
cam chain is still around the cam. if the head was off, Ide tap the 4 bearings off the end of the cam to get the crank out.
Hey! wait! you dont want the crank out do you? Just pull the clutch off, take off the last case nut, and separate.
you dont have to separate the cam chain to take off the bottom case half.

Unless he's already done it, tell your mechanic not to take down the top end to access the transmission. Just turn the motor upside down on the bench, hang the head off the edge and support it from the floor with whatever's handy, then remove the lower crankcase half. It's a quick job.

Back