Testing Light Checker

Well, it would help if we knew what year / model your bike is, but if it is a pre 1980, then the light checker will blink if the brake light is burned out or if the wiring to the brake light is open. It also comes on when you operate the brakes, but it will blink if the brake light filament is open.

The simplest way to test it is to remove the tail light bulb.

I should have said pre 1981. 1980 was the last year for the light checker. A 1980 bike light checker is the same as earlier models. This is why it's important to say what year your bike is when posting a problem or question. I don't think that there are any two year / model bikes that are the same in the electrical department. I think that's because it's a lot easier to change the wiring than the engine components and Ralf Nader got involved in the 1980 to 1983 electrics by installing ever more complicated "safety" devices that it got to the point that you basically cannot start an '81 to '83 model.

Yeah that would have helped, huh. 1980 (11/79) xs650G is what I am working with. When I turn the bike on the taillight is the only light that comes on. Brake lights will come on when activated. I get no headlight, hi beam, blinkers and horn. I have checked all the filaments in all the lights and they are all intact and light up when hard wired. I really would like to keep the bike as original as possible. Thanks.

Yeah that would have helped, huh. 1980 (11/79) xs650G is what I am working with. When I turn the bike on the taillight is the only light that comes on. Brake lights will come on when activated. I get no headlight, hi beam, blinkers and horn. I have checked all the filaments in all the lights and they are all intact and light up when hard wired. I really would like to keep the bike as original as possible. Thanks.

When the key is turned on (engine off), you should have the taillight only. Yes, brake light should work from either front or rear. You should not have a headlight, due to the fact that the Safety Relay keeps the headlight off until after the engine has started. The blinkers will not flash until the engine is running with at least 13 volts. With the engine off, the voltage is not high enough to activate the flasher unit.

If the horn is not working then you should check the "signal" fuse. The original clip type (glass fuses) fuse holders are worn out..............replace with blade type. If the bike sat for a long time, rust can form inside the horn and stop it working. The horn has an adjustment screw.............unlock the lock nut and turn the screw to get it working.

Been trying to find out from books and looking over the net but can't find much. Have a 83 and when I start it, I place choke full close, kick it couple times turn key on and kick it over, but after one kick the headlight comes on as the tail light. If I been riding it it does ok but a cold start it's a tad of a bitch. All so i have to keep choke on as I put my brain bucket on, go to 1/2, light a cig, get on, feather the thottle as i go to choke full open. Thanks before hand :shrug:

Back