THEbananaDZL's Bratted Bobba'

THEbananaDZL

100% First Timer
Reaction score
Hey all, wanted to start a quick build thread on my 1980 xs650.

This is my first ever project build and I have already learned a ton! This site is amazing! I am on a time and budget crunch with this build. Leaving in May for the military and want to get this on the road before then and on a budget cause I am 21 and have way more projects than money at this point.

Here she is the day I brought her home, along with a couple boxes of parts...
8ze1jl.jpg

I started to strip everything off, I love the look of a clean and super simple bike. Then my friends decided to "help" with the build.....
1htbif.jpg

I want my bike to be different then any other bike so I bought some 1" tubing and after setting my ride height I bent up my own brat frame rails and figured out the shock mounts, once I got the look I was looking for I welded it up good.
nbbtqo.jpg

Next I pulled the motor, cleaned the carbs, lowered the forks 3", and installed Hughs PMA. Also cleaned the frame of all the tabs, mounts, and poor welds that I could find.
2q0n8g7.jpg

Next I am bending up a set of bars I like, building my forward controls, and seat pan. then all the fun "art stuff" What do you all think so far?

Had some time in the garage yesterday, so I went off on making myself a seat pan so I can figure out how I want my bars and forward controls. This is my first time ever making a seat pan and for quick mock up quality I think it came out pretty decent, still needs some work to make it symmetrical but you get the idea. Also mocked up how I am gonna run the fender, now time to make mounts.

24zhoba.jpg

what is the current distance mount to mount for your rear shocks?

Im using a 10.5 shock atm but I figure when I relocate the top mount from its current stock location to a location more similar to yours, I will have to get a longer shock.

Occam22, as it sits right now it is exactly 10.5 center to center. not sure if I am gonna run a 10.5 or 11 inch shock. depends on how much seat to fender clearance I get when I sit on it.

Well.... it has been quite some time since I updated this. in the time before I left for basic military training I was able to get the bike pretty close to what I am looking for. She needs a few more things done before I can get it on the road but that will be this winters project.

After the seat pan was made and mounted I installed Hughs 3 inch lowering sleeves in a spare set of forks I had. I got lucky with this set, they looked to have been rebuilt pretty recently so I just had to clean them up.
2e2jdr4.jpg

Next was a quick mock up of a headlight and some bars. I took a piece of 7/8ths bar and bent it in the vice till I got the bend I was looking for.
2z8w1m9.jpg

2qk4jt5.jpg

Next I mounted up a set of original spoke wheels and figured out where my foot pegs would be. I'm looking for the rat kinda raw look so I found some old chain out in the barn, and started welding.....
2drs56c.jpg

2mzwk8i.jpg

The seating position:
30x8jeo.jpg

While the engine was out I pulled the starter, plugged the hole, and installed a new PMA and hughs ignition, cleaned the carburetors and then put the motor back in and installed the exhaust. After the exhaust was on I realized that I may need to make a new exhaust so I don't burn my ankles, but hey that's what think socks and heat wrap are for!

After wiring up the motor (which I will admit I have no idea how to wire anything... this site helped a ton with diagrams so thank you for all the help!)

After a working till the early morning hours this is how my wiring looked...
2ivb4eo.jpg

What are the chances of this thing starting right?... well after a little fuel poured into the carbs, and the power turned on, two kicks...she started and ran great!!

This is how it looked the day I left for training.... I haven't been home in 5 months so I don't have detailed pictures but I should in a couple more months.
2n8afk9.jpg

24xi16e.jpg

This is my old man and I with the toys the day I left...
zno2a9.jpg

Sorry for the really bad build page, but I hope you all like it. Feel free to ask questions!

Back