Threebond

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered some stuff from xs650direct (canadian version of mikes xs). I ordered threebond 1104 for the case halves. They sent me threebond 1194. Is there a difference between the two. Did anyone try this out.

I heard the formulation of the original threebond was changed because the government clamped down on the chemicals used in it. The original was a gray semi drying type and is the sealer we have all grown to know and love. The replacement is clear silicone based. I won't use the new stuff. Read your package to see if it tells what type you have there.

I definately got the threebond liquid gasket. It says it contains xylene, 2-butoxyethanol and talc. It doesn't say anything about silicone. I knew what I was ordering. I wanted the gray 1104. They sent the wrong shit or false advertisement.

There is gray, semi-drying stuff from Permatex called "Motoseal 1". It's intended to use putting cases together. I've just used it to coat the edge of seals with so far. It seems like good stuff. Hard to find locally but easy to order on the web. Better adhesion and temperature resistance than silicone and more rigid.

I thought that was strange that Mike's had a different number. As 5twins said they changed the formula, so they changed the name. The tube I got was an off white, not really gray but close. It works just fine.
Leo

I never opened the tube yet. Not quite ready to mate the two halves just yet. Maybe there is some gray 1104 floating around the internet somewhere. I may try it if it is off white liked you said, Leo. What number is yours by the way?

I still have some of the old original Yamabond #4 and Hondabond #4. This is Threebond 1104, they supplied Honda and Yamaha. It just comes in "Honda" and "Yamaha" marked tubes. I was wrong about the Threebond going to clear silicone based, it was the Yamabond #4 that did that. The Threebond has changed slightly as well though. The 1104 was replaced by what you and Leo have, the 1194. The original has trichloroethylene in it whereas yours contains 2-butoxyethanol and talc. You may get lucky and still find a tube of the original Hondabond or Yamabond at one of your local Honda or Yamaha dealers. Read the label and see if it has the trichloroethylene in it.

The stuff I mentioned is what they use on other bike forums and on snowmobile and 4-wheeler forums. And - it has a long working time, which fixes one problem the original Xbond had. Most importantly it still contains triclorohondalene.

Same here, no problems with the Threebond 1194

A Tucker Rocky part#53-0395 Threebond 1194 at your local motorcycle dealer.

Retail $7.07 :thumbsup:

Back