Tight fit.....underneath...

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm about to start putting together the electricals on my 79 2F. I am running a Lowbrow P-nut (which is great) but the fit around the frame is really tight. I don't know if there's enough space between the tank and the frame on the back part to snake out the wiring harness. Anyone else encounter a similar problem? If so, how did you deal with it? Any creative solutions or advice or pics would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

Dave

On a side note, how far can the wiring be from the engine before the heat affects it? Could I conceivably lash the wiring harness to the bottom of the frame under the tank, essentially taking it to within an inch or so of the engine or is that too close?

Dave

Dave:

You can stretch the tunnel in those tanks 1/4"-1/2", so it doesn't fit so tight. A simple bench vise will do the trick, if you don't have a spreader. But, that probably won't help much with the wiring.

If you're running a slimmed down harness, you can run some of the wiring inside the frame. I did mine with two wires. One power going forward. And, one power coming back for the rear brake light. If you have a bundle, you can probably run it under the tank, below the backbone, without it being seen.

As long as the wiring is wrapped, heat from the motor shouldn't affect it. It takes a lot of heat to melt wiring...

Rich

I hope this doesnt seem like I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm in a similar situation with a p-nut tank from lowbrow. Im trying to widen the tunnel so it fits over my backbone/neck gussets but not having much luck. What type of set up did you use with the bench vice to widen the tunnel?

I hope this doesnt seem like I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm in a similar situation with a p-nut tank from lowbrow. Im trying to widen the tunnel so it fits over my backbone/neck gussets but not having much luck. What type of set up did you use with the bench vice to widen the tunnel?

A bench vise in the reverse direction should do the trick if there's a square lip on it. But, keep in mind. They're really not made for applying pressure outward. You might damage your vise with too much pressure.

Harbor Freight also sells a wooden stretcher tool (for a lack of a better name).

Good luck.

Rich

Back