Top end strip, rebuild.. what do i need?

Demorgan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello! i have determined that i have oil getting into the left cylinder when parked up, fouling the plug untl it coughs up all the un-burned petrol and oil in a series of very loud crash, bangs and wallops...! so, i am going to re-do the top end over the next few grey miserable english winter weeks... My question is this.. what do i need to order in terms of seals, gaskets, o-rings, washers etc? ill be getting it all from Heiden Tuning in NL... oh yes, its a mostly stock 1977 XS-D, and i have access to fully equipped professional workshop so tools aint an issue.
shopping list currently looks like this...
- Oil Filter Kit (new filters and gaskets)
- Drain plug Gaskets
- Premium 72-84 Gasket Set
- Gasket Washer set
- Top end engine o-ring set
- Cylinder Head Washers
- some sealant?

sound about right?

ta!

You won't need an engine o-ring set. The o-rings are included in the premium gasket set (so are valve guide seals). Not sure what you mean by the "gasket washer set". If you're referring to the copper washers used under some fasteners, I've always just re-used them and never had a problem.

If the motor has anywhere near 20K miles on it, I would advise replacing the cam chain and the front cam chain guide. The front cam chain guide should probably be replaced no matter what the mileage. Most are failing now due to age.

With the oil problem you have, you most likely will need some cylinder work. That could be just new rings or more likely a fresh bore with new over-size pistons and rings. You won't be able to tell until you have it apart and can inspect things.

#1 thing you need is a repair manual.
The rest of your list sounds ok.
Leo

Ha! Of course I got a manual! That was the first thing I got after the first tank O gas!
5twins, thanks, I had a hunch that the o-rings were part of that kit but couldn't make it out from the website.. As for the washers, yes, I meant the copper replacement ones, I read somewhere here they were a good replacement.. Oh yes, cam chain guide, good call, am well over 20k! As for cylinders, I will have a look and see where I am once I got her open.. I have been warned there might be work to be done there... Cheers!

Front cam chain guide AND cam chain. You are going to want the chain too, especially with 20K+ miles. The chains can and will last much longer if properly cared for but there's the rub - most were not checked and adjusted frequently enough so their life span was cut short. The only washers you'll be wanting to replace are the rubber/metal ones used under the 4 outside acorn nuts on top of the head. They are too soft to hold torque so those nuts come loose all the time causing head gasket leaks. Replace with brass or copper washers. Heiden Tuning should have the brass ones.

you'll probably find your sump oil filter is fubar too so as you are ordering from Heiden you might want to consider investing in one of Heidens excellent sump filter conversions

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 242
Back