Torque Specs for Steering bolts

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Can someone give me the specs for my 77.I am not sure what everything is called but i believe i need.
1) Upper fork pinch bolt (1 on each side)
2) Lower fork pinch bolts (2 on each side)
3) Steering stem pinch bolt (1 )
4) Steering stem Main Bolt .
Question on setting fall away on steering.
I watched a video on this but for another bike.
After backing everything off and setting correct fall away,what is the correct sequence
of tightening everything back up for an xs650
Thx

I believe all pinch bolts are M8x1,25. So should be torqued to 20-22 Nm (or approx. 15 foot-pounds) I am not able to give you any value for the main bolt (nut?)

Basically any fastener of the same size and grade should be torqued the same, no matter what the application is.
So for 8.8 fasteners, I normally use 10 Nm for M6, 20-22 Nm for M8, 45 Nm for M10 and 70-80Nm for M12.

There are some exceptions, like the M6 sump plate bolts, which supposedly are a lower grade, so require maybe 7 Nm.
And Spark plugs as well. They are torqued to a much lower value than a M14x1.25 fastener.

Getting a manual or a torque spec sheet is the only way to be sure that the information you have is the recommended specs from Yamaha

It doesn't hurt to check back on here to determine if the information you have read is correct. There are some mistakes in the manuals but common sense says be aware when a larger bolt has less torque than a small bolt....... or........... especially vise versa.

Notice the difference between the torque of nuts and bolts

Attachments

• XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg131.jpg
    XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg131.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 1,750
  • XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg132.jpg
    XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg132.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,597
XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg131.jpg

XS650SJ Service manual Jpeg132.jpg

If you are using a windows system click the thumbnail pictures to enlarge them. Right click choose "save image as" and save it to your system. Then use whatever photo software you use to open them and enlarge.
If you are posting to a thread you have the choice to post as a thumbnail or enlarged picture with the sites new software.
In this case I saved to my desktop then used the "upload an image or file button" then the "full image" button without using any other software.

And by the time I did it you have figured out

What an Under Bracket and inner tube? 14.5 lbs torque.
I find the Names off each bolt confusing.I got the torque numbers for the main Steering stem bolt,its the
upper and lower pinch bolts that i need,is that the Under bracket inner tube the lower 2 pinch bolts on
either fork?

Upper 7.23 ft. lb.
Lower 14.5 ft. lb.
Your tubes are thinner at the top where the fork caps are you don't want to crush/pinch them?

Last edited:
Don't forget the link i gave you has all the manuals and parts lists for all models from 70-83.

Don't just rely on other members...............Do some research for yourself and in time you will be able to give back

The upper tree is also alloy. That's why it's pinch bolts are so lightly torqued compared to the lower tree, which is steel.

Back