Trail Tech Endurance II Electronic Speedometer

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-20...&qid=1444073822&sr=1-13&keywords=endurance+II

Hey there everyone. I've had to replace my speedo recently. I purchased a superior priced $12.00 mechanical speedo in KMH instead of MPH... price helped but going 95 when im really doing 60 makes it feel like your going lots faster than you really are...

Anyway, it isn't going to work.. not bright enough and cant see the needle after dark.

So, I think Im going to go with the Trail Tech Endurance II electronic speedo. Please chime in if you have any advice or experience with this specific unit. Really just looking for waterproof and backlit speedo that's not mechanical drive.

Please let me know if you are using or have used this in the past. Install issues??? Reliability.?? Accuracy?.

Thanks everyone !

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 323
I use the Trail Tech Endurance computers on two different bikes. The oldest one I have is the first generation and I'm not sure how long I've had it???? Maybe 8-10 years???

The second one is the II and it hooks up to your bike's battery. It back lights when moving (the first gen you had to hit a button for back light and it was rough on the internal battery). I like the II a lot better. I've had no problems at all with either.

This is the II

FallB50001.jpg

BUT......it kinda depends on what you want. There are several electro speedos out there that look the part. But they aren't computers like the Trial Tech. Current speed, avg speed, total driving time, real time, top speed, total distance, etc.....that's the Trail Tech. The only down side I see is in keeping total miles. I clear mine for every long trip....but keep a log on total miles. I'm sure there is a way for me to keep it in the computer but I haven't used that option.

Like I said.....if you want a computer....the Trail Tech gets my :thumbsup: but if you just want speed and odo.....I'd go with a electro speedo that looks more stock.

OH......Trail Tech checked against stuff like mapquest/google maps.... total distance is right on the money and so was speed checked out against a marked mile and other bikes. Easy to set it up too.

Just my 2 cents since you asked.

Gordon in NC (who BTW was born and rasied in Tallahassee)
1975 XS 650B
Looking for another "nice" stock XS 74-78

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, that's the info Im looking for...

Im still looking around but for the cost and functionality this one is on the top of the list.

Tell me a little about the install please....? the sensor and the magnet location and mounting process.....

Thanks for the reply, that's the info Im looking for...

Im still looking around but for the cost and functionality this one is on the top of the list.

Tell me a little about the install please....? the sensor and the magnet location and mounting process.....

Get the universal mounting......then you run the sensor wire down a fork leg and secure the sensor to the leg.....I use zip ties. You'll put the magnet (the target) on the hub/disk. No real way to make it pretty.....but after awhile you forget it's there unless your anal about the looks.

speedo2004.jpg

The magnet has been "glued" in place with a bit of JB Weld.....a cobbler's best friend :laugh: You can see it on the hub.....looks like a spoke end.

speedo002.jpg

On another bike.....the older computer.

I mounted the computer a couple of ways......but found a couple of P-clamps work well. Places like Dennis Kirk sell clamps that would work and look nice....a type of split clamp. I'm kinda a cobbler so the P-clamps (adel ???) work for me.

That's the older computer showing the P-clamps. I made a bracket for the other bike's computer (in the first reply) but it's still held on with P-clamps. If I wanted to get fancy.....I'd use a couple of these

damper002.jpg

Bad photo.....but right now I'm stuck at work so this is all I have. But I'm talking about the lower clamp on the steering damper.....$10 or so from Dennis Kirk.

OH......and you gota get the bracket/holder it slips into ......I can't imagine mounting the computer without it. You have to consider the cost of that too....it's a bit pricy.

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B

I purchased the first style about ten years ago from cyclegear. It didn't last long enough for me to even throw away the box it came in. I still have it , complete and in its box on a shelf where it belongs. I've heard the next generation is good quality though.

I purchased the first style about ten years ago from cyclegear. It didn't last long enough for me to even throw away the box it came in. I still have it , complete and in its box on a shelf where it belongs. I've heard the next generation is good quality though.

:confused: Why didn't you return it???? :confused:

I just checked.....my first gen is a little over 9 years old and I have clocked (pun intended) a little under 30,000 miles on it. Rain, shit, mud or blood, it's never let me down......at least so far. :)

BUT........I purchased the first one for an AHRMA ISDT bike I built because I thought I needed a computer. That wasn't the case (long story) so I took it off and put it on the shelf. My Smith's Speedo went bad (on another bike) so I had nothing to lose and mounted the Trail Tech, it's been on that bike ever since. Because I'd had such good service out of the first one....I purchased another a couple of years ago for different bike. (a new build) I've only logged 3000 + - miles on that bike so far but it's not given me any trouble. If I had wanted a speedo and only a speedo.....I probably wouldn't have purchased the first one.

It's like a LOT of stuff you research/purchase online......you'll find good and bad reviews....buyer beware!!!!!!

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-02...k-BRxsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Yep, that mount is an extra $55.00. Still not a bad price all together against the competition for the features.

I see what you mean by the clamp on that last pic too. thanks. Great info and I bet this thread will help lots of people in the future too.

I may post some links to other options I find before I decide. For comparison.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-02...k-BRxsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Yep, that mount is an extra $55.00. Still not a bad price all together against the competition for the features.

I see what you mean by the clamp on that last pic too. thanks. Great info and I bet this thread will help lots of people in the future too.

I may post some links to other options I find before I decide. For comparison.

Thanks for the help.

Evenmore......yea, there's several nice options for speedos and computers out there and posting a few of them on this thread is a good idea. :thumbsup:

I like to take long trips on my ratty old bikes and I don't start to get into the "zone" until I get at least a hundred miles on the clock......after that I can go for days. I have to admit (even though it wasn't my intention) that I like all the options the computers have. I'm not up to speed (no pun intended) on GPS......but that is another option.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go......:bike:

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I used the endurance on my drz400 before. It worked great. Quite accurate readings and held up great to weather. (It was a dual sport, went through water and left it in the rain on several occasions). I actually just purchased one for the xs650 now because I had such great luck. Good luck in your search!

I just installed the Trail Tech Vapor on my 82 and I love it! It is small and keeps the odometer reading and is back lite when moving. It also has a great tach bar, ambient and engine temp sensors, top speed and top revs. Very accurate and easy to install and looks great on the bike. Also installed the extra dash to have my 4 warning lights with it, high beam, low beam, turn and neutral light. $110 for the Vapor unit and $45 for the dash and a clean looking top end.

Care to share some pics?

I just installed the Trail Tech Vapor on my 82 and I love it! It is small and keeps the odometer reading and is back lite when moving. It also has a great tach bar, ambient and engine temp sensors, top speed and top revs. Very accurate and easy to install and looks great on the bike. Also installed the extra dash to have my 4 warning lights with it, high beam, low beam, turn and neutral light. $110 for the Vapor unit and $45 for the dash and a clean looking top end.

Uploading for the 1st time, here goes nothing...

Attachments

• 20160211_095037.jpg
    20160211_095037.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 324
  • 20160220_160106.jpg
    20160220_160106.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 206