turn signal switch ?

rafbobber702

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, my custom xs650 bobber doesn't have turn signals and
switch. I live in California, and I obviously need them. I found this universal handle bar turn signal switch.

It has 3-positions, 3-wires, I know where to hook up the left and right. BUT the middle wire for the off switch, where does that wire to? Here is a pic for reference. Thanks!

005.jpg

12v to one side of a two pole flasher, red wire from the switch to other side of flasher. Yellow and green to positive wires on signals. If you use led lights you need a compatible flasher.

center is the 12v power wire from flasher, it's not a OFF switch it's just not sending power to left or right turn signals in center position

Yes, that's what you need. If you are using led signals you need one that will flash those. A standard flasher won't.

Adding resistors defeats the purpose of the lower amp draw led's though. Easier and better to just get the right flasher.

I have done a lot of these setups and found that there are some switches that you buy on line that work for a while and then short out. I had 11 switches from one company and 9 out of 11 burned up. Looks like it has to do with wire size and flasher. There is a different draw from LED and older bulb styles so if I were you spend the money and buy a good LED FLASHER and go with LED lights LESS DRAW
This was the switch I had problems with.
Easy way to make look good is this other style built right into light

Attachments

• b915a402-cfe9-cf0f-ff71-e21247a42042.jpg
    b915a402-cfe9-cf0f-ff71-e21247a42042.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Slide3_zps2f98fa8b.jpg
    Slide3_zps2f98fa8b.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 123
I appreciate that info a lot, I was it on ebay looking at that exact switch too.

Do you know of any good quality turn signal switches?

Yep buy the stock one works all the time.
When I make up harnesses for choppers I use a three position switch . Some states just have to have turn signals on the bike for inspection so that works fine.
I have used different ones but they all have there little problems. If you go to YOU TUBE I have some videos on there about harnesses and the switches I use.
Just go under DADDYGCYCLES.
BUT STOCK WORKS!!!

Last edited:
Sounds good, ill check that out for sure. I think Mikesxs.net has the stock turn signal switches, im assuming those will work. But I also want a smaller not so blulky sized assembly.

Back