Two condensors on total loss ignition?

special-k

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi l have a 73 650 engine in a flattrack frame. We're running a stock dual points ignition into a single 4.7 ohm harley style coil. The bike seems to work fine. We wired it with a condensor for each set of points using the factory wiring. All the diagrams l see on here just show one. Are we wrong or does it not really matter? We run a 5 amp/battery and the dwell is eithin specs. Thanks for any tips

Just use 1 condenser (capacitor). Since both sets of points are tied together in parallel, the 1 capacitor is all that is needed. In the original stock 2 coil design, the 2 sets of points are independent of each other and had to have a capacitor for each set of points.

We ran the factory wires from the points to the trigger side of the coil and fastened them both to the trigger end of the coil. Is that considered in parallel? I'm a little unsure about in series and parallel? Thanks

Loose the total loss system , been out dated Shell gave them up for ARD 30 years ago, them we went PVL now Electrexwold. email me at gary@hoosracing.com, time at the crank, rock solid and reliable. Gary

2 kids, lots of bikes and riding in a trophy class doesn't support a 500 bucks plus ignition system lol. I'm sure it works great just not in my budget. Thanks for the reply though.

I understand the expense of racing... one reason I am out, but 2nd not sure where you came up with $500.00 they are $340.00, remember time and reliability are money lost. add up all the money you spent, will spend and time , not so pricy now.

Back