Two durn stinking little problems

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
1. Why does the bike idle high while I'm rolling to a stop then, as soon as the bike stops rolling, it idles down and dies. If I catch it soon enough and rev it up,or restart it, its fine and idles normally.

2. I keep blowing turn signal fuses. I've traced out the wires, sockets, switch, etc. Taped, loomed, etc. increased the amps on the fuse to 25 (!) still it randomly blows. I've tried to make it blow by combinations of headlights, brake lights, revving, turning the handle bars, wiggling lights, can't replicate it. It seems completely random.

Its a 76 with stock front signal lights, aftermarket incandescent rear turn lights, new wiring, new fuse block, SparkX perm mag alternator.

Any ideas on one or both problems?

1. Why does the bike idle high while I'm rolling to a stop then, as soon as the bike stops rolling, it idles down and dies. If I catch it soon enough and rev it up,or restart it, its fine and idles normally.

2. I keep blowing turn signal fuses. I've traced out the wires, sockets, switch, etc. Taped, loomed, etc. increased the amps on the fuse to 25 (!) still it randomly blows. I've tried to make it blow by combinations of headlights, brake lights, revving, turning the handle bars, wiggling lights, can't replicate it. It seems completely random.

Its a 76 with stock front signal lights, aftermarket incandescent rear turn lights, new wiring, new fuse block, SparkX perm mag alternator.

Any ideas on one or both problems?
The eletric problem I don´t know s-it about but the idel-problem I may having an idea.
It´s a fairly common problem on Suzuki GSX models.
I don´t know all the names in english but check the carbs and look for places where the air can take another way then trough the filters. I swedish we call it "thief-air". Hope you know what I mean.

/BigBoreSwede

Hey Kent! You got a short somewhere. Gotta just follow the circuit all the way and find it. Can be a real bitch. As far as your idle problem, I had that problem with my GS. The pilot jets were too big. Went down a couple and was all set. Hope this helps.

I wonder what bulbs are in the aftermarket rear signals? Could they be drawing too many watts? Maybe switch them out to some stockers and see if it quits? On my front I had one where the wire was chafed inside the threaded part of the stem mount. Please use the correct fuse as the fuse protects the wire from POOF! I think what the Swede is trying to say is you may have a vacuum leak. I probably have some stock signals laying around if you want to try them. Check in the headlight bucket holes that the grommets where the wires pass through are there and in good condition . Another place they can chafe and ground. Ask Teecat about that. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Swede. "Thief air", I like that!

Tech and pumps, yeah, I know. I had a 10A in it then switched to the heavier fuse because I thought the rear lamps might be drawing more than expected. But, I obviously do have a short somewhere. I may split the circuit so I have the left and right, front and rear on separate temp fuses, see which one blows.

And thanks for the offer pumps but I think I have some stock lights here too.

No way ANY taillamp bulb is gonna blow a 25 amp circuit. You have a short to ground somewhere. Good idea on splitting the circuits.

Back