Two stroke memories

When I had my RD350 in high school , one of my rowdy friends didn't own a street bike but he was a very good motocross racer since he was a young kid. He asked if he could ride my bike and I said sure. I thought he would zip around the block, instead he rolled out to the middle of the street and stood up on the pegs, revved the crap out of it and dumped the clutch producing this huge stand up wheelie which he proceeded to ride all the way to the end of the street. I was amazed, flabbergasted, and pissed all at the same time!
I had no idea that bike was capable of such antics and I certainly couldn't do that!
Such skill that kid had, a completely unfamiliar bike and he just ripped it!
I brought my newly-chopped and painted Honda 305 scrambler to high school for the first time, and this sort-of-friend-bully-jerk-show-off rich kid asked to ride it around the teacher parking lot. He got on, throttled it, and drove it into a brick wall. Didn't make the turn :lmao: It was worth it just to see him on the pavement, moaning. I'll never forget it.

The only 2 stroke I ever owned was a tri-moto... Had fun on it for awhile until I went over a camel back jump and my rear wheels clipped the second hump. I don't remember what happened but my brother was behind me on his CR250. According to him, I was ejected from the 3 wheeler and was sliding on my hands and knees down the hill. The 3 wheeler bounced and flipped over and the rear axle/sprocket hit me in the back of the head/helmet knocking me out and squashing me. When I came to, my brother was lifting the 3 wheeler off of me, when I was able to stand up my shoulder was a bit more forward than it should have been. I popped it back in place and the pain hit. Went to urgent care, ended up with a concussion and a broken shoulder.
Got rid of that turd and purchased an 86 TT350... loved that bike and had several years of fun on it.

Tri- moto.jpg

OUCH!!!!

I think that those three-wheelers were eventually banned. They are simply unstable and caused a lot of those types of injuries.

OUCH!!!!

I think that those three-wheelers were eventually banned. They are simply unstable and caused a lot of those types of injuries.

Exactly! I know so many people that were badly hurt back when they sold those things. Quads are so much more stable.

Another memory. '88 to '96 I was in an Antique M/C club here in Tucson. The guy who started it had a RD350. Polished fins on the head, yellow and black paint so it was named " the bumble bee". It ran pretty good and kept up with bigger bikes. I had a '81 Yamaha DT175 that ran but I wasn't into dirt bikes so I rode in the back yard once or twice.

I had a 90cc honda 3 wheeler, ugly but fun, mostly got it for our Kid...but I put many miles on it regardless....
My kid and neighbor kid that we practically raised went out riding on the 3 wheeler and were gone for hours
came back to the drive way and the neighbor kid started hollering Bob ! Bob ! come quick... I did and both the kids were cut to ribbons by bob-wire ..... My kid couldn't even get off the bike there was so much pain ...blood everywhere.... I threw them both in the car and went to the clinic
114 stitches and 2" of flesh by the knee removed ( as that area was just spaghettified, into the bone ) for my kid and something like 80 stitches for the neighbor kid....
after they explained what happened I took the 90 3 wheeler down the same path and that little thing tried to do the same thing with me
the rutt that caused the problem made the bike go to the right and into the bob-wire the other side was a canal....
Both kids still carry scars from that and I gained many grey hairs in the ordeal .... I sold that 3 wheeler shortly after that and got the kid a KX125
and the neighbor kid got a Yamaha 125..... I had a TT500 yamaha at the time and I could NOT keep up with those Kids .....LOL
it weren't for the lack of trying the traction just wasn't there ,,,, zip they were gone.... RARRRRRR a rooster tail of dirt and rocks 30 ft high and I only went 12 feet ! LOL .... that soft soil/sand made it hard to get all that weight going... I could catch them about 2 miles down the road ! LOL
.....those Kids were so cut up on the right side it was unreal arms cut badly, but ankle , knee and hips were all deep and to the bone....
they looked like shark attack victims ! I went through 3 bob-wire fences in my time on bikes and never came out looking like that !
I have nothing against 3 wheelers but they are not motorcycles and can't be ridden like motorcycles without bad repercussions !
..... I had a DT1 250 yamaha with a 3 wheeler attachment ... what an animal,..... talk about Hill climb ! if you had the balls to take it up the hill, it could do it...... but it did like to go over backwards.... so you had to be careful at all times !....
.....3 wheelers are for Playing and their fun.... just stay away from objects like fences or trees,.... because they wander badly
Bob......

When I had that RT360 in Japan, another feller in the MC Club had an H1. We swapped for a couple of hours one afternoon. Even at 22 years of age, 6 feet tall and bullet proof I knew that H1 would kill me if I owned it. I didn't regret swapping back.

Another member had a Water Buffalo with a sidehack on it. We swapped too, and I had an absolute ball on that bike. Little gal wanted a ride in the hack so I told her to hop in, and then proceeded to turn into the hack hard enough to get the third wheel up and ran her down the road about 4 feet in the air for a while.

Oddly, she didn't think that was near as funny as I did...

Beautiful bikes Johnny! A very nice collection.
Your Kawasaki A7 looks amazing. I've never seen one in person, it's pretty rare, can't be easy to source parts for!

YES !!!!!!!!!
Today I accomplished that which all my friends said was impossible.
I got a title in the mail for my barn find '75 RD350, using no documentation other than photos !
Rejected at first, I called and spoke with a supervisor, and pleaded my case that this grand old beauty should not be parted out.

Now, I can start restoring it in earnest, with a goal of putting it on the road.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 339
  • RD350 002.JPG
    RD350 002.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
YES !!!!!!!!!
Today I accomplished that which all my friends said was impossible.
I got a title in the mail for my barn find '75 RD350, using no documentation other than photos !
Rejected at first, I called and spoke with a supervisor, and pleaded my case that this grand old beauty should not be parted out.

View attachment 104726

Now, I can start restoring it in earnest, with a goal of putting it on the road.
One of the pics I sent them.

View attachment 104727

That's awesome! Congratulations! I would love to see a build thread on that bike. We need a section for OTHER BIKES on this forum. Many of us have interests beyond XS650's.
Keep us posted, that's a bike close to my heart.

That's awesome! Congratulations! I would love to see a build thread on that bike. We need a section for OTHER BIKES on this forum. Many of us have interests beyond XS650's.
Keep us posted, that's a bike close to my heart.
Thanks, Bob, I'll keep in touch on the resto.
I'm psyched.
Probably this winter. So many bikes to attend to. I've got the '75 up in the stirrups and milk crates at the moment doing a rear tire, sprockets, chain, fork rebuild.
Of course , the exhaust has to come off to get this done....

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
You gonna keep it stock or go all hot rod on it?
View attachment 104728
View attachment 104729
I will, however, try to start it within the coming month.
I've got the advantage of having a complete bike, all the bits are there, and the wiring harness unmolested.
The dash looks exactly like my '75 XS, which is cool.
I have removed the left case cover, and the stator looks like it just came out of the factory.
The carb slides are mobile, and compression seems good. I'll get a reading , soon.
Where's that bottle of Ambien I had? Must get sleep tonite.....

Back