UK Bobber Build thread

Looking good Paul. Seat pan looks comfortable.I just went down to the shop and finished the brake setup and went with an idea that I borrowed for the peg mounts.I'll post some pics later. They kind of look like this.

photomoto-005_zps6c7d0cf8.jpg

Yeah,You just weld a tab to the bracket to bolt into the next hole.I had setup the passenger pegs on a bracket to bolt in this location,but wasn't happy with strength or look.
Yes those are the factory peg mounts cut down.Got to go cheap and use what I can.
Ha ha.Forgot to get some pics today maybe tomorrow.

You can go ahead and beat out a seat for me now that you have the task figured out.
My free seat that was supposed to be a "solo" seat wound up being a king queen pile of crap.
Have you seen these from 650 central? This is only 39.95 for the seat.

seatcombo_zps28daf1fc.jpg

Thats not bad value! Actually the seats not too bad to do. I got a cereal box, drew a rough shape, sat on it, made sure it would suit my arse, then trimmed the card to suit.
Transfered that to some 1/8" plate cut it out, then popped through a roller to get the kick up at the back, then finished with a little hammer work. A guy in town will be covering it (im a shite upholsterer!)

So - the progress so far this weekend!

Firstly I bought a new toy! Really useful bit of kit and I got a bot carried away machining things!

100_2578.jpg

Sorted out the rear wheel spacing, brake rod, adjusters, and the brake arm too - got a little carried away on the lathe making that, with threaded adjuster, etc but im pleased with the results

100_2579.jpg

100_2577.jpg

100_2581.jpg

Turned and machined new bobbins to locate the seat springs too!

100_2576.jpg

Machined a mini spiggot and moutned the rear brake light switch behind the axle plate

100_2583.jpg

Didnt want a handle bar mounted choke lever, so I modified the old cable and installed a new choke lever that I had of an old BSA - need to weld on some cable loops to tidy it up but you get the idea

100_2584.jpg

Coming together - need to work out battery box mounting and fake oil tank for the electrics next

100_2585.jpg

100_2586.jpg

Your build is going great Paul. Hey,let me know how you plan on setting the electrics in your fake oil tank.Your brake setup looks good.Slick way to mount you switch.

Thanks Johnt3 - Im quite pleased with it so far!

Im thinking about putting a panel in the tank, then using velcro to keep the fuse box and the Boyer ignition unit in place - then they can be easily pulled out for maintenance work. Although all ideas are welcomed!

Sounds like a good idea to me.Gonna try to work my exhaust down underneath the bike.
Got another couple orders in today, can't wait till they get in.

Yeah, I'm not 100% on it yet - going to give it some more thought!

Are you doing a 2 - 1 system? Pop some pics up.

What have ordered in? I am waiting for my fender from 7 Metals but havent heard anything from the guy - apparently he is slow but good??

wow you've sure made some good progress Paul:thumbsup:

You've clearly got an impressive skill-set to match your design aspirations too .

love ya shed and the bike stand AND you've got a lathe !!:eek: I really must get off my butt and prepare my old shed this week before the weather turns really bad, i'm never going to have my ride ready for the spring at this rate

You're an inspiration mate !:wink2:

No I'm going with a 2-2 kind of like the Chappell Customs black bobber build.Maybe a little closer to the frame.I got a front tire,seat with mounts and springs from low brow. Drag bars and odds and ends from mikexs.Next is the big order from 650 central,Gasket set with Seal kit,Mains and Pilot Jets,chain and sprockets and K&N pod filters.
"Slow but good" kills me. haha Try and get some pics soon.

Peanut - Thank you for the very nice compliments! Yeah the Lathe is great, really handy bit of kit, however you can get carried away machining everything! Love my shed, its small but it is ideal for what I need. The bike lift is a godsend! Couldnt do the build without one now. Weather is crap here now - first signs of snow at the weekend!

Johnt3 - That'll be a really good look, I am keen to see the pics of your build! Yep, I have just realised I will need a new chain as my original is about three inches too short now. I am assuning the replacement DID chains have a bit extra length in them? Next for me is mounting the tank - I think I will machine some threaded bungs, drill the frame, weld them in, the file to match the radii of the frame. Then make flat rubber spacers to match the contour of the tabs on the peanut tank to dampen vibration - pics this weekend!

Hey Paul,I've found on the Forum that a 120 link chain will be a little long for stock gearing so I guess I'll be cutting mine down for the 17/32 set I've got ordered.
I've been looking for a sportster tank locally, but no luck yet.Got to have it to finish mock up on the seat and fender. ugh! I've been thinking about the electrics tank and access.
Seen what charlesincharge09 is doing to his tank and the strap on lid idea.Putting a panel in place for the fuse box,relay and signal flasher on with room for wiring underneath.Like your choke idea and your tank choice.What bars are you using?
I've not worked on my bike in over a week,time and family dates.
Been thinking about my rear brake stay rod, keeping it long and attaching it to the lower cross tube or shorting it and attaching it the upper frame leg.I can use the original bracket off of the swing arm for the lower point, but would have to make a bracket for the upper point.Still thinkin' as I go. Ha Ha! Will try and get some pics as soon as I start working on the bike again.

Hi Johnt3, I think I'll order a new chain and see where I get to, I have found about 6 links off the chain I put on my other XS, so I'm sure I can cobble the two together if need be. I might also consider dropping a tooth on the back?
I'll check out what charlesincharge is doing.
Yeah the choke idea just popped into my head - quite pleased with it now! Im using 7/8" drag bars with i 20 degree bend in them. Yeah, the drum stay rod is a funny one, I looked at several designs before I settle on that one. Most people just seem to put a straight bar or rod - however I wanted something I could adjust with the axel if needs be. Ive been lucky in that my weekends have been relatively free so I am cracking on! yeah get some pics up - keen to see how you are getting on.

Yeah I've got the rear disc setup on mine.
I'll probably go with the lower cross tube setup,I'm cheap that way. It'll be painted black anyway so it will blend in. Ha-ha
UPS to my door on friday. Yes!

Back