UK Bobber Build thread

Yep, weather is forecast to be good for the weekend! Yey!
Hope to get a few more miles on!
Ordered the Canadian needles and jets from Heiden yesterday so hopefully they'll be here next week and I can carry on with some jetting experimentations!

Well the weather this weekend has been ok. So, I've been out and and about putting a fair few miles on ! Got almost 700 on now :)
Been tinkering around with the jets. I seem to be best at 45 pilot and 142.5 mains with three turns out on the mix screw. However, whatever jets I go for I still have the stumble in the midrange but I hope the adjustable needles will sort that out.
Riding around that stumble is producing good throttle response and strong acceleration at WOT to 90mph which, to be honest is quite enough!
Put around 100 miles on it today and I'm seeing 50 mpg with good coloured plugs so I am relatively happy with the set up bar the stumble.
Had a slight oil leak from the left hand cam cover. Upon investigation, it wasn't the seal but the gasket effectively being too thick and, combined with the o ring, not allowing the cover to seat firmly. So, I trimmed a 1/16th of the inside of the gasket which let the o ring sit flush. As of yet, no more leak :)

Hey Paul. Riding is good :thumbsup:
Does your exhaust have mufflers?
Or are they straight pipes?
If they are straight pipes watch this video.
I found it it the exhaust thread.
Hell watch it anyway.

Really interesting video Carbon!
I have the knocked in baffles on mine but they arent as restrictive as on the video, and my midrange is reasonable, and should be even better when I can drop the needle a tad.
Got the carbs stripped down last night and the needle jets knocked out too. Just waiting for the Canadian needles to turn up from Heiden.

Ha Ha - nah loving it!

They are the steel baffles but are more like an exhaust internal inside with the perforated sheet and baffles which I added from an old trail bike exhaust was a perfect fit so thought why not.

Well time to go home now! Maybe some needles will be waiting!

So, been away with work and come home to an empty mat - still no needles :(
As I want to be out riding this weekend in this lovely weather. I wanted to find a way to drop the needles. So I ground down a parting tool and popped the needles in the lathe and machined another slot above the original. Measured on the vernier and all happy.
So, if the the new needles don't turn up, at least I have something to try :)

Up nice and early to another lovely day this morning with an ulterior motive to get my needles installed and out for a test! :)
I have a nice new camera that does good close ups so here is a picture of the "modified" stock needle. The plastic washer is pulled down so you can see the new groove a little clearer:

DSCN0454_zps4affd851.jpg

Popped them back in and out for a run - YEY Success!!! :)
No more midrange stumble, nice and strong pull and will sit at 80 but will go to 90 / 95 where I kind of chickened out and reminded myself not to be silly !
Jetting at the moment is 45 pilot, 142.5 mains and 3 turns out on the mixture screw. I think I could still go up a main size or two but a look through the stock only produced a 150 main which I think is too big. Might order a 145 and 147.5 this week to try out of curiosity. Incidently the Heiden needles still have not turned up but I dont really care now :)

Great job Paul! I'm glad to see and hear you have your bike dialed in man.:thumbsup:
What kind of temps do you see in your area in the summer? We'll most likely get into the 100's pretty soon.

Back