UK Bobber Build thread

I'm hoping to just replace some seals and cam chain guides.The bike only had 67xx miles so it shouldn't need much... Knock on wood! I'll probably get in there and find all kinds of stuff to address. Ha Ha! I did get a gasket and seal set already.Thought the valve seals on right side were toast but after I found the leaking float from that side I'm thinking that was what I saw.
It will be good to see you rebuild your engine.I've thought about a PMA setup,though that will have to wait for now.

Hopefully you got some shop time today! I got one! Although I did get dragged around lots of shops, saw santas, reindeer and all that stuff! Great! But I did manage to go and see the new James Bond film - fantastic!

H Although I did get dragged around lots of shops, saw santas, reindeer and all that stuff! Great!!

did you get to sit on Santas knee :D

I'm lucky really.I order everything for christmas , on the internet and don't need to leave the house :wink2:

I'm glad you didn't sit on Santa's knee. I really want to see that Bond movie.
Well I got a little done today.
My oil tank, Although not as nice as yours I'm happy with it.I'll be using a leather strap to secure the lid.
DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

DSCN0365.jpg

I also got the tank partly mounted up.Still have to secure the rear.
DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0370.jpg

DSCN0372.jpg

Here's a shot of the headlight high beam indicator that's off to the left. Weird huh?
DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN03741.jpg

Hi Johnt3, thats looking really good! Very impressed! Yep, your headlight is the same.
The original clocks are working well on the bike - like it!
Yeah the movie is great - some very good parts that bring a grin!

Thanks Paul! Appreciate that.Yeah I think your right about the Friday afternoon one. Ha Ha.I went ahead and mocked everything up to see how everything fit together,chain and tank with the filters. Had to move the electrics tank forward and down a little.I think it won't be too bad to get at the fuses with seat up. I think I'll mount the starter solenoid down by the starter. That way if I decide to not run one it won't be that big of deal to remove it. Did you get something figured on your carb bellows yet?
Yes man get that fender on.

I know cant wait for it to arrive! Hopefully it'll be here for next weekend. That'll really be the last weekend before I go on hols so would like to get it fitted!
I havent been able to find any diapragms for sale yet - all seem to be out of stock. So, im just going to repair the originals for the time being and order some when they become available. Its not as though its too much of a hard job to retro fit if need be, which is handy. That sounds like a good idea for the solenoid. All of that stuff off mine is now in the bin. Just kick only for me now! Saying that, my other XS and trail bike are both kick and I never have any problem. I need to figure out where to stick my reg rec unit - toying with the idea of putting it underneath the battery box to keep it hidden. Need to have a look this week when I'm at the bike.

Sucks about your diaphragms, but yeah I think it will be easy enough to change them later.I like that fender you have ordered. Should look good on there.
Did you see where I mounted my reg rec unit? Your gonna make me change my mind on where I mount mine. Ha Ha. I would have mounted mine down under the battery box but I've attached my mounts for it level to the bottom of the frame rails. By the time every thing is painted black and wires are in a loom it shouldn't stick out too much.I might also trash the solenoid and go kick only.I don't like the look of that thing and it would simplify the wiring.
It'll be a long weekend here with Thanksgiving and all so I'll try and sneak away to work on my bike.

Yeah I know - but hey ho, we'll get them sorted. I'm quite a way from firing it yet :)
I did see where your rec reg is mounted and i do like it. I think it will minimise exposed wiring. I'll have a closer look at mine to see if under tha batt box is feasible and post some pics up.
Yeah bin the starter! He he! Thats the reason I binned mine - cleaner look and cleaner (less) wiring to clutter the bike.
I hope you enjoy your thanksgiving this weekend! Plenty of beer and turkey! Im off to a christening on Sunday, so I will be like a buckled wheel on Sunday afternoon! :)

Well I hope you get to work on your bike Saturday.Yeah, turkey makes me sleepy.Ha Ha.
I'll probably work on my forks and get those done.I still need to figure out a tag bracket and tail light. Buy or build?I like the axle mounted I've seen on lowbrow, but man those are expensive!

How about something similar to the one I did - pretty simple and I thought that little mount on the TC Bros axle plate was perfect for it.
Yes Sunday will be a write off as there will be a lot of food and beer! So I am hoping to get cracked on on Saturday. Going to get the carbs sorted out if I can. going to buy an Ultrasonic cleaner

I'm planning on using those tabs for signal mounts.I'm thinking about something mounted off of the upper rail maybe? I'll keep lookin' and thinkin'. Ha Ha. Have a good one. Off to work!

Enjoy work! Yeah I'm not going to install any indicators, or as you guys call them - turn signals :)
Perhaps, drill the frame with a 1/8" bit and then weld some tube over for the base of your mount, then you can have the wiring hidden???

Thanks Johnt3 - You're welcome to borrow them - just might cost you a bit in air fares!! :)
Those cleaners are great and they arent too expensive - perfect for carbs, fine components, jewellery, stuff like that.

Back