updating 1979 original front brake

hank2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I think its about time to improve the original front disc brake on my 79 xs 650 2f. I'm not looking for performance as much as practicality. Would love some advice from the learned minds of this site as where to start and is Mikes XS a good place for upgrade parts. Thanks

I think the original front brake is pretty good. The only thing I recommend changing is the old 2 piece rubber line. Switch to a one piece braided stainless line. You should also disassemble and clean out the MC and the caliper. I think the stock pads work very well. I have aftermarket ones in mine now and don't feel they work as well. I will be going back to originals eventually. The nice thing is, you can still buy them, and they don't really cost any more than an aftermarket set. Better yet, they are sold as a "kit" that includes the little spring that fits on top of the pads, the chrome shims for the caliper mount, and that funky little retaining screw with the turned down end .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS650SH/FRONT BRAKE CALIPER/parts.html

Thanks 5twins. You prefer the 1 piece over the 2? The line is a good place to start for sure and to be honest with you I hope it will make the difference I'm looking for. What is the best way to clean a MC?

Yes, I prefer the one piece line, less possible leak points and possibly a better "feel" because of the elimination of the junction block. The two piece original set-up was to allow for adding a second line (and disc) if you wanted. It was an option here in the States but was standard on some of the European 650s. Honestly, this bike doesn't need that second disc. The single disc, if operating as it should, is good enough.

Cleaning is pretty straight forward. You can use that spray brake cleaner on all the parts once disassembled. You may need to do a little gentle scraping to remove built up crust. The little wire wheels for a Dremel are good for cleaning corrosion off the parts. In the caliper, the important item to get cleaned out is the groove that the large main square-sided O-ring seal fits into. Over time, brake fluid gets in there and dries up. It forms a crust in the groove. This eventually forces the seal out more and makes the piston stick. So, clean all the parts real well, lube with fresh brake fluid and re-assemble. If the system isn't leaking anywhere now, and you're careful not to damage any of the rubber parts during cleaning, you shouldn't need to replace any of them.

Consider switching to an 11mm master cylinder instead of rebuilding the stock 14mm one. It really improves the brake feel. Search "11mm master cylinder" - many posts about this upgrade.

Back