Variation in header discoloration.

Bandito

Twistin' the Throttle
Reaction score
So I've been able to put a couple hundred km's on my bike since assembly.

I have the Mikes 2 into 1 headers... and I see that the right side cylinder
pipe is blueing up a bit, but the left is still just golden in color...

The shapes of the pipes are different, so I'm not sure if that has anything
to do with exhaust temp coloring the pipes...

If both carbs are jetted the same... what is the explanation for this... and
at this point, should I be worried about it?

not sure if you should be worried as far as internals go, but eastwood has a solvent to remove the blue if you wish.
Hmm, I tried to find it, but no luck. Do we have a name for this product?
To all tech gurus: I just installed my new pipes on my 78 Special, and she appears to like them. Going like stink, starting easy and very responsive. However, my left side header is turning golden. Please someone refresh my memory on what this means. Should I install a colder plug, or do I need to go something inside the carb? Or is it related to something else? Would appreciate some input from those in the know.

Hmm, I tried to find it, but no luck. Do we have a name for this product?
To all tech gurus: I just installed my new pipes on my 78 Special, and she appears to like them. Going like stink, starting easy and very responsive. However, my left side header is turning golden. Please someone refresh my memory on what this means. Should I install a colder plug, or do I need to go something inside the carb? Or is it related to something else? Would appreciate some input from those in the know.
Hi jurgen,
if your new pipes are aftermarket SINGLE WALL pipes They WILL discolour.
We used to tune our Britbikes by the exhaust pipe discolouration.
Blue at the head fading to dark then light straw around the first bend then fading out entirely half-way down the first leg
meant the carburation was just about perfect.
Those old bike pipes also had thin sheetmetal.
My son got a set of single wall pipes from MikesXS that were really heavy wall, perhaps1/10th" thick.
They didn't get the classic "tuning rainbow" discolouration, first they went golden, then went brown near the head.
Mind you, both sides should discolour equally so check your carb balance.
That's if you have a symmetrical system, 2 into 1s never do balance perfectly.
And if you have double wall pipes any discolouration at all means there's a serious overheating problem.
BTW either Solvol Autosol or Blue-Be-Gone plus mega-elbow grease will clean the colour off
but it'll only come back again. Until the chrome wears through. Then it'll rust.

Last edited:
That side is running a tad hotter. Gold comes first, then blue. But, if your new pipes are aftermarket single wall ones, they will turn colors up near the head. You could check mix screw setting, float level, etc. on that slightly hotter side if you like. No, don't run colder plugs, especially on one side only. Do make sure the plugs you have are correct though. If NGKs, that would be a #7. A #6 would be hotter.

The po overheated my 71 in the 1980's he said he was racing and the bike just quit. After it cooled off, it started and he went home. The pipes are the originals, and have the most beautiful straw color even on both sides.

xs650rubberexhaustbar 001.jpg
Hi jurgen,
if your new pipes are aftermarket SINGLE WALL pipes They WILL discolour.
We used to tune our Britbikes by the exhaust pipe discolouration.
Blue at the head fading to dark then light straw around the first bend then fading out entirely half-way down the first leg
meant the carburation was just about perfect.
Those old bike pipes also had thin sheetmetal.
My son got a set of single wall pipes from MikesXS that were really heavy wall, perhaps1/10th" thick.
They didn't get the classic "tuning rainbow" discolouration, first they went golden, then went brown near the head.
Mind you, both sides should discolour equally so check your carb balance.
That's if you have a symmetrical system, 2 into 1s never do balance perfectly.
And if you have double wall pipes any discolouration at all means there's a serious overheating problem.
BTW either Solvol Autosol or Blue-Be-Gone plus mega-elbow grease will clean the colour off
but it'll only come back again. Until the chrome wears through. Then it'll rust.
Thank you for your expertise again, Fred, very much appreciated. I follow your pointing to a T and my rides all become better for it. Even lost my rotor tiller handle bar, as you advised:

View attachment 100852
Thank you for your expertise again, Fred, very much appreciated. I follow your pointing to a T and my rides all become better for it. Even lost my rotor tiller handle bar, as you advised:
Hi jurgen,
nice bike and I really envy your front yard. Is the canoe on the top storey balcony a defence against theft or against serious flooding?:

The canoe is awaiting new canvas. Well actually, I will likely just glass and epoxy resin it when it has risen high enough in the priority list. For now it is up there to keep it out of the rain or shop or basement, basically for storage and general ambiance. Yeah, my yard blows me away as well: its like an ex German's dream come true. That and 20 years of work making it come true.

Back