Weird Taillight Issue

the_nutt

Have Fun
Reaction score
I'm going to disassemble it tonight, but wanted to lay this out and maybe get some ideas:

Tail light has been working for 6 months. I recently installed a new ignition switch, but all it does is link between the capacitor and the fuse block.

NOW my taillight never comes on, and the brake light only works if the headlight switch is off.

Wiring: The taillight is independently grounded. This is still intact. The running light is wired to the headlight switch. It is on any time the headlight is on. The brake light is powered independently to its own fuse.

The headlight still works. While holding the brakes with the headlight off, the brake light works. If you flip the headlight on, the brake light clicks off.

I'm confused because the brake light and tail light are wired completely separately. My guess is that something is crossed in the taillight housing itself, but there is no fuse blowing.

So, color me confused. Any input would be cool.

after reading this all I can say it should not do that.
Looks like continuity testing is in order.
you should be able to run the tail light piggybacking off the wire going to the fuse box
the headlight brake light thing who knows. check for broken ground wire.
I've seen trailer lights where the brake lights worked fine in the day but when the lights were turned on for night driving the brake lights didn't work. The reason was disconnected ground wire to the trailer wiring harness.
Just a thought.

So I took it apart and the shitty Chinese soldering job that was holding the ground wire to the bs washer in the tail light assembly was broken. All is well now.

Back