What’s going on here? Something bent.

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2870.jpeg

I put two thousand miles on it. It drives out straight and corners fine. The swingarm is tight.

IMG_2870.jpegIMG_2871.jpegIMG_2875.jpeg

IMG_2873.jpegIMG_2874.jpeg

Could it be my exhaust is bent? Seems if it was the swingarm, I should have detected it.

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 38
I came inside to look at what I posted on the big screen. It doesn't look the same in here. It looks like it's just the pipe. Weird. It seems I should see heavy damage, but I don't.... Not yet, anyway.

I had similar clearance issues on my '83 on that right side, but that was with an aftermarket exhaust. I fixed it by actually tweaking (bending) the headpipe a little. The stock muffler was close but did clear. And like yours, the left side had plenty of clearance. My advice would be to place a thick washer behind the muffler hanger bracket where it attaches to the frame. That should space it out a little bit and give you the clearance you need.

There was the start of a crocked seat thread in "Classifieds" a while back. A "Marty's Crocked Muff;ers" thread has a ring to it. SSSSHHHH, I measured the muffs on the "Red Bike" and one IS 1/8" higher......

Not sure I understand it but cant it be adjusted on the connection pipe under the bike ( Not sure what it is called in English ) and tweaking the mount bolts

:twocents:The mufflers are a rather heavy weight on the end of a long lever arm. With time, vibration, and shock loads, they dro(o)p. The geometry of the mounting points forces them inward as well as down. Loosen all the various mounts, clamps, and head nuts squeeze the head pipes inward below the exhaust ports and mufflers will rise and extend outward. I've done this while setting up "new" exhaust systems.
The muffler supports may have "relaxed" a bit over the years also. Removal and reshaping will aid the mufflers return to a "perkier" condition.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand it but cant it be adjusted on the connection pipe under the bike ( Not sure what it is called in English ) and tweaking the mount bolts
That exhaust has taken some hits over the years.

The geometry of the mounting points forces them inward as well as down.
Mine is in and high.

I went after the bike doing more that half-ass cleaning. I often work on bikes as I have a few minutes and often don’t complete a job in one sitting. That leads to errors. I found some. Then, I saw the muffler against the shock mount. In the driveway at the angle I was looking, I nearly had myself convinced that it wasn’t the exhaust. The camera shots cleared it up when looking at the large screen on my desk.

This bike was crushed in 1983 and got a brand new frame. There wasn’t a swingarm on the list of replaced parts that I have.

Last edited:
Some of you might recall me going through this with my XS650SK. I had JP (@JRP01) working on it in the hotel parking lot in Eureka Springs, AR. I was somehow convinced that the rear wheel wasn't on straight. Well, that hasn't stopped bugging me. Over the weekend, I did @gggGary's bent fork test. I also made sure I did the front wheel installation as per @5twins. I did all that, then took my obsession on the road. After studying this and driving a bike that seems to be running down the road perfectly, I'm pretty much convinced that my fuel tank isn't symmetrical. That and the front fender. They're playing tricks on me.

To put this to rest, I'll have to swap the tank and fender. My focus is upon the lower fork clamp in relation to the tank. I may remove the bar and check that while I'm at it.

Back