What are the signs of needing CAM CHAIN adjustment ??

TurboFarviknugn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What are the signs of needing to adjust the cam chain ? After finishing my bike and logging about 1500 miles it has developed a WIERD oscillating vibration which comes and goes mainly after accelerating, and reaching crusing speed. I tightned the drive chain today which made no difference.

ANY ideas ? Have had NO problems until this cropped up.

Check if the engine mounts are all tight. Do you still have all the mounts? Put the rear wheel in the air, spin it. See if the chain has more slack in one spot than others. check the front sprocket nut they often loosen up.

You should check and adjust (if needed) the cam chain every 1000 miles. There's a good chance it needs adjusting by now.

The usual sign of cam chain adjustment needed is a light intermittent "tinging" AKA chain slap. But it 's easy to check, I like (Grizld1's I think) check it warm at idle, tighten till it stops moving, back off 2 flats of the nut, done.

YEP I kept ALL the mounts. THESE are all GREAT suggestions, I will check them all. The front sprocket shouldnt be an issue, as I made sure it was tight and bent 3 sides of the locking washer upon reinstalling after removing it for the clutch push rod seal replacement.

I have while it is making the vibration engaged the clutch and reved up the motor slightly and the vibration increases and does not go away while clutch is ingaged, thus my thought about it MAY BE being the cam chain.

Cool, check that sprocket again anyways, though it usually starts leaking oil if it gets loose.

Never hurts to do a close inspection of the frame looking for cracks............
More than one cracked frame has been found while looking for a funny vibration.

The usual sign of cam chain adjustment needed is a light intermittent "tinging" AKA chain slap. But it 's easy to check, I like (Grizld1's I think) check it warm at idle, tighten till it stops moving, back off 2 flats of the nut, done.

Gary, I think you are referring to my method. Hot engine, tighten until no motion, then back off 2 flats. I'm not suggesting that is the only way to make the adjustment, but it seems to work well for me.:bike:

There you go! I figured I'd get it wrong but then again I thought someone would mention it if I did. If it helps any I wasn't sure whether it was you, weekendrider or grizld1, so I just threw one name on the wall. The good news is, I got the method right!:D Good method by the way, I used it last week.

Found problem ! Seems that during the build my welder and i missed a joint to weld, which was just tack welded in 4 spots, and they finally gave way. Cleaned and welded up good, will take for a ride tonight the wifee made me stop working so i could take her to the shooting range, i promised to take her so she could fire more rounds thru her .380. Pics to come.

Back