what carbs for big-bore rephase...

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
need to source a set of carbs for my project. engine is rephased, 81mm weisco pistons, PMA, etc..... stockers, vm34's, etc... looking for a good set that won't require fiddling all the time. not worried about price.. gotta pay to play..

I have VM34's on my rephrased 750 with 190 mains if I recall and they seem to work well. I've got a set of TM34 flat slides coming for that bike to free up the VM's for another 650 I'm building.

If your VM34's were running your engine well before the rebuild they will run it just fine after the rebuild, and probably without any fiddling with.
When I did the 750 kit thought I woulds need to fiddle with the carbs, they ran great on the bike as a 650, but as a 750 it would need some carb work. After about two weeks of fiddling I ended up right where I started.
I would try the carbs you have. Why spend a bunch of money when you don't need to.
Leo

I don't think he has VM34s at the moment. They were just on his list of possibilities. About the easiest carbs to ser up imho. Run them with stock Mikuni intakes with vacuum barbs. I've tried with billlet extensions but am going back to the rubber stock length boots.

I don't think he has VM34s at the moment. They were just on his list of possibilities. About the easiest carbs to ser up imho. Run them with stock Mikuni intakes with vacuum barbs. I've tried with billlet extensions but am going back to the rubber stock length boots.

tim, any reason for not using the billet extentions?

I think you'll understand why the aluminium intakes are used with the Vm34 carbs after your rubber intakes come apart. They also add length to the inlet tract, a known benefit for added torque.
Are you having trouble tuning the Vm34 carbs with the alloy intakes.?

Back