What Electrical Parts to Replace

Don't try to hide the rectifiers and the heat sink to well. They get hot, need good air flow around them to keep them cool.
The regulator don't get warm so it can be hid inside the seat or a fake oil tank.
Leo

I'll have to post up a pic of the bike. I built a battery tray that takes place of the old plastic inner fender and holds my safety relays, starter solenoid and a bunch of wires. On the bottom side hanging upside down are the rect's and regulator mounted on aluminum with an air gab between them and the underside of the battery tray. If you look hard you can see one of the wires connecting to the rectifier but I found some nice 90* flag style connectors that will hide them nicely. Good advice though and like I said it one of the best upgrades I've done.

The regulator is available from any auto parts store, even on weekends. The Radio Shack rectifiers are also available at any Radio Shack store, most of them also on weekends. The used part is available from..........

I can sell my:). Just ended reading posts about new/better rectifier/regulator combo and on Monday I am going to napa for regulator, I have rectifiers in my spare box...

btw, my original rectifier/regulator still work...

rode....,

Well, the regulator and rectifier come to mind. The stock regulator is junk, even when it was new 30 + years ago. The rectifier uses technology that is no longer in use. The end result of this is a shortened life for the battery and rotor because they are working harder than they need to.

The rotor is $125 and the battery is $40. You can replace the reg and rect for under $20, so It's a no brainer.

Here's the scoop on the regulator:

This regulator requires you to modify the connections on the brushes of your alternator to work like the brushes on a '80 to '84 model.

1. Got to www.napaonline.com or your local NAPA store.
2. Search for part NAPA MPEVR38SB $14.99
3. Remove the ground connection from the inner brush.
4. Replace the three screws on the brush holder with nylon (not plastic) screws (M4-12)

nylonscrews2.jpg

5. Run a wire with a 7.5A inline fuse from the now isolated brush to a source of +12 volts from the ign switch (brown wire)
6. Install and wire the regulator as shown. The wire connections to the regulator use female bullet terminals.
7. The regulator does not have a ground wire. You must ensure that the case of the regulator is grounded. The battery box, where the stock regulator mounts, floats on its rubber mountings and is not a ground.

VR295.jpg

r2962.jpg

In the process of testing this setup for the '80 to '84 models I modified my bike as above and installed the regulator. Works the same as the VR291.

This regulator was used on virtually all Chrysler products from 1970 to 1989. It supplies a regulated ground on the green wire to the rotor brush instead of battery so if the rotor shorts out to ground it will not fry the regulator or blow the main fuse. I like it because it is technology from the same era as my '78 XS650 and it's available everywhere for a very low cost, not because it's a cheap product, but because there are lots of them out there and the auto stores are interested in selling them. Advance offers a one year warranty.

The wire connections to the regulator use female bullet connections, but you should remove the protective plastic from the connections for better contact.
Note: Also available from NAPA as their part number MPEVR38SB for $16.69 or from your local "retired vehicle" yard for $5.

Here's the deal on the rectifier:

Here is a suggested replacement for the rectifier on 1970 to 1979 XS650's. Go to Radio Shack and buy 2 #276 - 1185 Full Wave Bridge Rectifiers for $3.29 ea.. Wire and mount them as follows:

1. Fabricate an aluminum plate approx 3 X 2 inches. Use .125 aluminum. This is the heat sink.
2. Mount the Rectifiers per the drawing, using heat sink compound between the bottom of the rectifiers and the plate.
3. Solder wires per the diagram.
4. Recommend that you eliminate the plug and connector as they are toast and you have to solder anyway.
5. Solder the wires from the Rectifiers per the diagram to the existing white wires going to the Alternator and plus / minus (Red / Black).
6. Use a heat sink when soldering the wires to the rectifiers.
7. Mount this assembly in the same place as the original, using either the center hole (as shown) or one of the mounting holes for one of the rectifiers.
8. Note: Do not ground the black wire on the mounting screws. The battery box is floating, it is not a ground.

The Radio Shack rectifier is rated at 25 amps. Two of the three white wires go to one rectifier and the other one goes to the other rectifier, so about 10 amps max is going through one rectifier at full load, with the remainder, 5 amps, going through the other.

rect.jpg

The "N/C" terminal can be used as a spare in case one of the diodes shorts out in the future. You could "pre solder" a short wire to it so if you have to use it you can just cut and splice the affected white wire to it.....don't even need a soldering iron!

Life is simple: Ride. Enjoy.

Mabye this is a dumb question, but...! If i put on the regulator/rectifer that's available through Mike's XS, do I still have to replace the regulatoras shown in this post, or will the new one do double duty as BOTH the regulator and rectifer? I'd love to replace two parts with one, if I can! Got a stock "76 650 that I'm restoring/light customizing, and got my tax return for some new parts! Thanks for any ifo you can give me!

I had to replace the charging circuit hardware on my 1976 XS650 and I chose to go with the complete kit from Mike's XS. Everything was included and the install was super easy. A little pricey, but it works great.

Pamcopete,
Fugedabowdit,
You've been nothin' but generous with your advice, professional in your communications AND thank you for your dedication and research we all profited from all these years.
A newbie,
wannarat

Great write up. Question though, does everyone agree the the napa regulator would be fine inside a fake oil tank? What about the stock Regulator?

Im thinking of doing this mod because the coil on the stock regulator is getting pretty hot and I did not think that was normal.

The coil on the stock reg gets pretty warm because it is used to control the current flow through the rotor. As long as your charging system is working you don't need to replace any parts.
Just remember anything that gets warm, like rectifiers, coils, should be out if the open to get air flow for cooling.
I would recommend the upgrade even if the old parts work because even at their best they won't be as efficient as solid state parts. Solid state has faster switching as well as less loss internally. These improvements gets more of the alternators output for charging the battery.
Leo

rode....,

Well, the regulator and rectifier come to mind. The stock regulator is junk, even when it was new 30 + years ago. The rectifier uses technology that is no longer in use. The end result of this is a shortened life for the battery and rotor because they are working harder than they need to.

The rotor is $125 and the battery is $40. You can replace the reg and rect for under $20, so It's a no brainer.

Here's the scoop on the regulator:

This regulator requires you to modify the connections on the brushes of your alternator to work like the brushes on a '80 to '84 model.

1. Got to www.napaonline.com or your local NAPA store.
2. Search for part NAPA MPEVR38SB $14.99
3. Remove the ground connection from the inner brush.
4. Replace the three screws on the brush holder with nylon (not plastic) screws (M4-12)

nylonscrews2.jpg

5. Run a wire with a 7.5A inline fuse from the now isolated brush to a source of +12 volts from the ign switch (brown wire)
6. Install and wire the regulator as shown. The wire connections to the regulator use female bullet terminals.
7. The regulator does not have a ground wire. You must ensure that the case of the regulator is grounded. The battery box, where the stock regulator mounts, floats on its rubber mountings and is not a ground.

VR295.jpg

r2962.jpg

In the process of testing this setup for the '80 to '84 models I modified my bike as above and installed the regulator. Works the same as the VR291.

This regulator was used on virtually all Chrysler products from 1970 to 1989. It supplies a regulated ground on the green wire to the rotor brush instead of battery so if the rotor shorts out to ground it will not fry the regulator or blow the main fuse. I like it because it is technology from the same era as my '78 XS650 and it's available everywhere for a very low cost, not because it's a cheap product, but because there are lots of them out there and the auto stores are interested in selling them. Advance offers a one year warranty.

The wire connections to the regulator use female bullet connections, but you should remove the protective plastic from the connections for better contact.
Note: Also available from NAPA as their part number MPEVR38SB for $16.69 or from your local "retired vehicle" yard for $5.

Here's the deal on the rectifier:

Here is a suggested replacement for the rectifier on 1970 to 1979 XS650's. Go to Radio Shack and buy 2 #276 - 1185 Full Wave Bridge Rectifiers for $3.29 ea.. Wire and mount them as follows:

1. Fabricate an aluminum plate approx 3 X 2 inches. Use .125 aluminum. This is the heat sink.
2. Mount the Rectifiers per the drawing, using heat sink compound between the bottom of the rectifiers and the plate.
3. Solder wires per the diagram.
4. Recommend that you eliminate the plug and connector as they are toast and you have to solder anyway.
5. Solder the wires from the Rectifiers per the diagram to the existing white wires going to the Alternator and plus / minus (Red / Black).
6. Use a heat sink when soldering the wires to the rectifiers.
7. Mount this assembly in the same place as the original, using either the center hole (as shown) or one of the mounting holes for one of the rectifiers.
8. Note: Do not ground the black wire on the mounting screws. The battery box is floating, it is not a ground.

The Radio Shack rectifier is rated at 25 amps. Two of the three white wires go to one rectifier and the other one goes to the other rectifier, so about 10 amps max is going through one rectifier at full load, with the remainder, 5 amps, going through the other.

rect.jpg

The "N/C" terminal can be used as a spare in case one of the diodes shorts out in the future. You could "pre solder" a short wire to it so if you have to use it you can just cut and splice the affected white wire to it.....don't even need a soldering iron!

Life is simple: Ride. Enjoy.

I have an '80 special, and recently installed the Pamco with mechanical advance. Soon thereafter I was blowing headlights. Tested voltage at the headlight - 13ish at idle 19+ revved up. Assumed it was the reg/rec. Replaced it as per pamcopete with the chrystler regulator and radioshack rectifiers...same problem-still reading 19+volts at headlight when revved up.:shrug:

I have an '80 special, and recently installed the Pamco with mechanical advance. Soon thereafter I was blowing headlights. Tested voltage at the headlight - 13ish at idle 19+ revved up. Assumed it was the reg/rec. Replaced it as per pamcopete with the chrystler regulator and radioshack rectifiers...same problem-still reading 19+volts at headlight when revved up.:shrug:

A Pamco ignition has nothing to do with the charging system.

Did you ground the case of the regulator as mentioned in the instructions? Where did you run the ground wire to? Where did you have the stock rec/reg grounded?

Do not try to ground the regulator to the battery box, as its rubber mounted.

Use your VOM on lowest ohm scale. Measure resistance from the regulator metal case to the battery negative terminal. It must read 0 ohms, in order for the regulator to regulate properly.

I attached a picture of the regulator and rectifier. there is a ground terminal under one of the bolts that holds the regulator on(this goes to the black wire on the stock plug) This is all mounted where the TCI box was. I am getting 0 ohms from the aluminum plate to negative terminal on battery

Attachments

• 2015-07-08 10.53.19.jpg
    2015-07-08 10.53.19.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 248
I recommend you solder the 2 black wires to the connector that is on the bolt. They appear to only be crimped.

However, it does seem that the regulator is defective. Did the seller of the regulator have a warranty?

Back