What else do I need for charging and Ignition?

medic51

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 motor ...and that's it. I have the coil but I am not sure if it is good. My question is if I buy a PAMCO and a PMA,will that include everything I need for ignition and charging? Also what do I need to do with those two items to make my bike kickstart only?

You need this http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0912.html
and the PMA, I highly recommend Hughshandbuilt http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/p/xs650-permanent-magnet-alternator.html

You will then need a small battery or capacitor. I suggest a battery.
That is all you need.

Personally I run a small battery pack to easily hide out of view. I ran the positive and ground wires from the regulator to the battery as pictured in Hugh's diagram. I then piggybacked the ground and positive wires from the regulator to the battery. Thus running a ground to the frame and the positive to the fuse block.
Here is the diagram for the ignition. I did something different for the lighting circuit which I added a diagram for down below for toggles.

PMADiagram.jpg

216402_1765173007261_1177209439_31645456_3755075_n.jpg

I run a SPST toggle for the on/off (kill switch) and a DPDT toggle in the headlight bucket for the lighting circuit like so-
DPDTheadlightbucketwiring.jpg

Get a fuse block and run 4 circuits like pictured above.

I removed the starter completely from the engine/bike. Plugged the hole with a freeze plug, and it is kick only.

By the way, these piggyback connectors work great for connecting wires on the same run
MVU18-250DMFK-A.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect! thanks thanks for the help. I am feeling a little overwhelmed by trying to figure out all the little parts I need to gather up to build this thing.

I realize this is a bit late, but for a first build, starting with a running charging bike to rebuild as you want is better than a pile of parts.\With a working bike yopu have evrything you need.
Once you have done a build and understand better what it takes, then thepile of parts go together much easier.
Leo

Back