What is going on here!?

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Okay guys, im lost. Bike(77) had been running AWESOME after recently redoing timing and points gap. Woke up friday morning for work and noticed gas all over the ground. Petcock was left open(shame on me). Friday night I took off them carbs and changed the petcock, THOROUGHLY cleaned carbs(all jets, slides, diaphragms, passages) then I taped off the ports, soda blasted the outsides. Then I flushed with warm water and cleaned them again to make sure all residue was gone. Reset float height, slapped them back on. Opened up the petcock to fill the bowls, cranked it up on choke, started first kick but idle continued to keep rising, took it off of choke and it ran like shit, popping and everything. Killed it, about an hour later I went to crank it again, NOTHING, wont even turn over. Noticed the plugs looked fouled out from maybe too much fuel. So I changed the plugs, kicked it over about 10 times with the plugs out just to push some gas out if it was flooded. Put new plugs in. Still nothing, it looks like my left plug has a weak spark, and right side looks like no spark at all. Now remember I redid timing and point gap about 4 weeks ago with a dwell meter and timing light, it was spot on! I'm getting power to both coils. Check fuses and wireing, everything's good. Went to kick it again off of choke and nothing. Put it on choke, and it backfired SOO hard out of the left carb it popped my carb out the boot. What I really need is 5twins or Xsleo as a neighbor. Lol thanks for the help guys!

Sounds like leaking float needles. THey are allowing fuel to continue flowing after the float should close them. Perhaps the float has a hole and isn't floating.

The idle could be an air leak. Not sure if your carbs are vacuum or not, but you need that hooked up to the tank to get gas. Where are you checking for spark? At the plug end or cap? Maybe your caps got loose or maybe gas has done something to the plug caps and or wires?

Twist the boot off and check it the same way. And I meant air leak at the manifold. I've had bad boots give weak and sometimes no spark. It's a 6 dollar fix. So hopefully it's that simple.

Yep. It has a screw like end on it. Don't pull it twist it. I'm taking about the cap that goes on the plug. Not the coil side.

Okay guys, im lost. Bike(77) had been running AWESOME after recently redoing timing and points gap. Woke up friday morning for work and noticed gas all over the ground. Petcock was left open(shame on me). Friday night I took off them carbs and changed the petcock, THOROUGHLY cleaned carbs(all jets, slides, diaphragms, passages) then I taped off the ports, soda blasted the outsides. Then I flushed with warm water and cleaned them again to make sure all residue was gone. Reset float height, slapped them back on. Opened up the petcock to fill the bowls, cranked it up on choke, started first kick but idle continued to keep rising, took it off of choke and it ran like shit, popping and everything. Killed it, about an hour later I went to crank it again, NOTHING, wont even turn over. Noticed the plugs looked fouled out from maybe too much fuel. So I changed the plugs, kicked it over about 10 times with the plugs out just to push some gas out if it was flooded. Put new plugs in. Still nothing, it looks like my left plug has a weak spark, and right side looks like no spark at all. Now remember I redid timing and point gap about 4 weeks ago with a dwell meter and timing light, it was spot on! I'm getting power to both coils. Check fuses and wireing, everything's good. Went to kick it again off of choke and nothing. Put it on choke, and it backfired SOO hard out of the left carb it popped my carb out the boot. What I really need is 5twins or Xsleo as a neighbor. Lol thanks for the help guys!

Check that your ATU fly-weights are not sticking in the full advanced position, and that they are free to snap back when released.

Have a look at the static timing using a test light or an ohmmeter. Then use a timing light if you can get the engine running.

Back