What is this part called? Rear disc brake on a hard tail

XS650fan009

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My frame has recently been hardtailed, and now i'm trying to figure out how to setup everything. My bike has a rear disc brake, but i've been trying to decided on whats the best way to safely mount it. I saw the "root beer candy" bike on XS650 choppers, and saw this close up photo:

http://cdn.xs650chopper.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/5.JPG

I really like the look, and I have a fender tab like that that i could connect the rear brake to.

I have no idea what, or where to get that part that connects from the brake caliper to the frame?

Thats perfect, exactly what i'm looking for.

Do you think something like this would be available at a Ace Hardware/True Value kind of store? only downside is waiting for the shipping so i'm wondering if I can just buy it in person somewhere?

I doubt it, I was looking for either male or female heim joints to make a linkage out of all over and never had any luck. You could check the local HD shops though heims seem to be used a lot on MoCo's linkages, although they may or may not be big enough.

Does it have to be adjustable? Or are you just wanting that look? Otherwise, any rod or steel plate cut to the right length would work.

it doesn't need to be adjustable, I just think it would be convenient.

Question though, How important is it that this rod is strong? What I mean is, this piece seems to simply balance the brake caliper, the main part that keeps it in tact is the bottom piece that goes through the axle. Do I just need something simple to balance it when I connect it to the frame? or do I need something structurally sound that will withstand tension/forces?

Not sure on the physics, but I would imagine there would be a lot of torque when applying the brake, especially if you're running hot and come to a quick stop...wouldn't want that piece failing. Something more solid/rigid is better in my opinion.

Back