What is this part?

Bob Wegman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is located an my 77 XS650D. Below the coils and behind the horn. I am thinking it may be a resistor but not sure.
1710607217676.jpeg

Last edited:
Your clue is the yellow/black...
Yes, it's a resistor. Diagram doesn't say what it's for, but the Y/B wire goes to the hi/low headlight switch. If I'm not mistaken, '77 was the first year of the reserve lighting system. I suspect the resistor is there to give reduced power to the hi beam if (when) the low beam burns out. I know on later bikes that's all contained in the RLU, but perhaps Yamaha used an external resistor on the '77?

1710639232717.png

Your clue is the yellow/black...
Yes, it's a resistor. Diagram doesn't say what it's for, but the Y/B wire goes to the hi/low headlight switch. If I'm not mistaken, '77 was the first year of the reserve lighting system. I suspect the resistor is there to give reduced power to the hi beam if (when) the low beam burns out. I know on later bikes that's all contained in the RLU, but perhaps Yamaha used an external resistor on the '77?

View attachment 264149
Thank you so much. I didn't have a wiring diagram and I will make a copy of the one you posted. Your response was a big help to me. Thanks again.

Ha! I had to go look, I posed the same question on my ‘77 build,
IMG_6818.jpeg

Daniel Black replied,

“Yup, I'm sure you've now seen in the diagram that it is the resistor for the Reserve Lighting Unit.

The RLU is supposed to monitor your headlight and if either the high or low beam blowout, switch over to the other filament. “

Back