What should be done with the engine breather hose when using pod filters?

shade

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After putting pod air filters on my '83 XS650 I am wondering what to do with the engine breather hose that used to run from a port on the engine back to the air filters. Do I just remove it, or is there anything else that needs to be done?
Thanks

put a small pcv filter on the end of it. you can find them in the ricer isle at autozone.

Many of us use a power brake check valve. This lets pressure out but not back in. The one we use fits perfectly into the end of the stock breather hose and its 90° configuration directs any oil vapor or drips through your pod .....

PowerBrakeCheckValve.jpg

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

Many of us use a power brake check valve. This lets pressure out but not back in. The one we use fits perfectly into the end of the stock breather hose and its 90° configuration directs any oil vapor or drips through your pod .....

PowerBrakeCheckValve.jpg

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

That looks like a great, simple solution.
Thanks!

Hi 5twins,
OK, it fits nice, but if I can't find that particular (#80190) valve on Canadian Tire's Help rack, are it's inner workings any different to those in all the other non return valves they have?

Hi 5twins,
OK, it fits nice, but if I can't find that particular (#80190) valve on Canadian Tire's Help rack, are it's inner workings any different to those in all the other non return valves they have?

Post a pick of what you call a non return valve. A vacum brake booster check valve should be the same in USA or Canada

Dorman 80189 is exactly the same as 80190, it just has an added gasket in the blister pack.

Post a pick of what you call a non return valve. A vacum brake booster check valve should be the same in USA or Canada

Hi Dave,
AKA PCV valve, the rack's full of them, all got different ends, all do the same thing, they let gas flow one way but not the other.
Perhaps I should have asked:-
Is there a difference between the power brake check valve that 5twins recommends and a PCV valve and why choose one over the other?

Hi Dave,
AKA PCV valve, the rack's full of them, all got different ends, all do the same thing, they let gas flow one way but not the other.
Perhaps I should have asked:-
Is there a difference between the power brake check valve that 5twins recommends and a PCV valve and why choose one over the other?

Post #17 in the following thread.........

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7357

Hey fred,
To clarify on that post:
A Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve does have a ball bearing plus a spring so that at high vacuum it will suck the ball tight only allowing a small amount of blow-by through a small orifice as to not foul the plugs (great on 4-8 cylinder plants), but as vacuum drops when throttle is applied the spring raises the ball, the size of the orifice increases allowing more to be passed through. The brake check valve allows the manifold to draw a vacuum in the brake booster. 1 way only. On our 650 babies it helps seal minor oil leaks too!

Yes, PCV valves aren't what you want, they don't work in our application. The power brake check valve is the cheap fix. Mike's valve is probably better but costs more. And then there's some hot rod valve that costs like your first born but is the very best. I'm happy with the power brake check valve. It's certainly a whole lot better than the little K&N filter I had on there to begin with. That was always wet with oil (although it never dripped).

Back