What year are these carbs, any idea?

BobbedSled

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Thought they were 70-73 or so, someone mentioned they may be 75-76, and they may be, sure hope not. I just can't tell hopefully someone here will know better than I.

01111_kKVeHZM79De_600x450.jpg

00v0v_dwSxR7kazFe_600x450.jpg

00w0w_iE1EfpbiIxX_600x450.jpg

They are definitely '73 or older because of the raised floor in the main bore, just below the slide .....

EarlyRaisedFloor.jpg

'74 and later carbs did not have that feature, the floor beneath the slide was lower .....

LateCarbThroat.jpg

The single choke on the right side of the left carb, shared with the right carb through a hose, would narrow them down even further to a '72-'73 set. The '70-'71 set had a choke on each carb but mounted on the left side. That gold bracket between the tops has been added. Originally, the only thing connecting the two carbs together were 2 hoses, a fuel crossover at the rear and the choke crossover at the front.

I have a set of those carbs, they are the 72-73 year carbs. The 70-71 had enrichers on each carb linked with a metal strap.
In 72-73 they changed to a single enricher on just one carb but linked with a rubber hose. They shared the raised floor design.
In 74-75 they deleted the raised floor.
www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm is a good year by year description of the BS38 series carbs. It has been translated through a couple languages, so the reading takes a bit of thinking, but the pics help a lot.
Leo

Well, if you need to buy carbs, unless you're doing like a 10 point restoration, you're better off getting a later linked set. They're more refined and they hold their sync better because of the linkage.

Back