What's this regulator I have?

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys. My 78se has a regulator / rectifier fitted part no. sh650c-11. Is that standard or has someone added it at some point? Is it the same as the solid state r/r I see people swapping to when simplifying their system? Will it work with electronic ignition like Boyer / pamco or do I need something else? (currently have points)

I know very little about electricals so please enlighten me :) cheers

If you have a combo unit then it's not standard. The '78 came with a separate rectifier and regulator.

If it charges properly, then it's working. Don't mess with it.
You can swap your points out for a Boyer or Pamco.
The reg/rec has very little to do with the ignition operation, The only link is the battery, if the charging system can't keep the battery fully charged then the ignition will not work to it's full potential.
Leo

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. I'll do some tests to check everything is charging properly soon as I can. It'd be a bonus not to have to buy a r/r as it was originally on
My list of things to get.

Hi guys. I just realised that aswell as having that combined reg / rec on my bike, there is also a separate reg tl1z-80. Left hand side by the battery box / tool wrap tunnel. Why does it have both?? Seems strange to me.

The po didn't remove the stock regulator.
Is it wired to anything? If not just remove it.
Leo

Hi Leo, sorry for the slow reply. Yes it is wired in. I'll try it without it. Unfortunately I've just pulled the engine for a rebuild so I wont be able to check for a while. Cheers
adi

Well, if it's wired in, it may still be in service. Do you have one of these mounted to the bottom of your battery box? This is an original rectifier .....

Rectifier.jpg

Hi there. No there wasnt one of those wired in. I wonder if the reg wasnt working on the combined unit? Anyway, I pulled all the original loom and electric components off last night for my rebuild so I guess it'll be a while til I can test the reg / rec out again.

Looking forward to getting stuck in and creating a new wiring system thats simplified and easy for me to trace / work with.

Can you recommend any good threads / how to's or sites which explain how to make the loom / harness? I've seen lots of wiring diagrams but I'd like to read about how to physically create it. What sort of connectors to use where and when etc, where to start, what tools, where things go etc. I'm just abit overwhelmed as to where to start from if you know what I mean.

cheers
adi

Back