wheel swapping from mags to old school spoked ones

44baluyot

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i want to swap the mag wheels on my 1980 xs650 with a pair of old style spoked ones from older models. my question is, can they be swapped directly? or is any mods to consider?

I did it. just get the sppacers from the left side( the bearing cover) and the right side spacer, and your set.
I like spokes, so I turned down the mags for my special for spokes.

Front are direct bolt ins. there are a few variations on different wheels by year. Do you have a disk rear mag? (most are) That is the hardest thing to change since all the spoke wheels are drum. I am not sure of all the spacer differences though.e

The easiest thing to do would be to swap the mags with later model spoke wheels(80-83 special II's and heritage specials)that way all the spacers would be the same.

i really appreciate all the suggestions coming. what about just hiding that rear mag wheel with covers like the ones for harley davidsons, do they fit xs650's and where can i get those? should trash lids really work like some says?

I think the spacers are the same, mag or spoke as long as the brake is the same. If you have a drum rear brake there are spoked wheels on ebay now. A set of the aluminum dirt catchers from a 75. A set of the Aluminum plain rims, 16" rear. The later set from the Special with way to many spokes. All selling as indivdual wheels. All drum brake.

The 70-73 rear axles are a little over an inch shorter, along with a narrower swingarm, hence the different spacers and axle adjusters.

Yamaha spoke wheels use drums so it looks like you will need to do some mods on the brake pedal shaft. It is easier then going the other way. Look for another bike with rear drum now and see how they had it. On mine I had to change the brake switch attach point, the lever stop screw, return spring mount location and made my own brake pull rod since mine was a stretch job. The swingarm is also diffrrent with the drum stay mounting below instead of above the swingarm tube. Might be easiest to find this stuff used of another bike somewhere.

i already have the break pull rod and the shaft that is attached to the brake pedal,not planning of stretching the frame just hard tailing it. yes I think I also have to do those things you did with the brake switch, return spring mount location. what is the lever stop screw? is it the one attached inside the hub plate to hold the tension bar? what about the spacers?do i have to worry about that also?

The stop screw i mention is what adjusts your pedal position. When the return spring pulls on the brake lever it needs to rest somewhere. The stop screw is adjustable and lets you pick a position of the brake lever at rest related to your foot peg. If you are doing a hardtail you will be able to do this. Just remember to keep all your leverage points the same or else you might not have the same force at the pedal needed for smooth braking.

With a hard tail and needing to fab everything up most of what we told you won't apply. A hardtail is virgin territory.

Back