When idling - heat from left exhaust, but not right?

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Ok it seems like there is only real heat coming from the left cylinder and not the right when idling. Is this normal? I'm running the green monster and pamco ignition. Compression seems fine.

I think it's misfiring. The plugs are fouled. I'm gonna pick up some new plugs tomorrow and see if that helps. Either way I'm too frustrated now. I'm gonna finish up the wiring and have the local yamaha shop come pick her up and fine tune her.

The left exhaust pipe was turning red and the right was cool to the touch. And when the right started firing it was shooting flame.

Last edited:
Red sounds hot, therefore lean? I assume timing is spot on? Good idea on the plugs...When in doubt, put new plugs in...

I think you've got a Pamco haven't you mate? In that case, just swap plug leads, see if the trouble follows you!

:banghead::banghead: Thought i would save you from doing it. ............ You would have striped everything for hard tailing............ so could some dirt have got into the carbs or has the float got stuck on one side and not getting enough fuel.......... with the flames coming out it sounds like timing..................one of your advance timing weights not working properly.........air getting in past your boots causing the lean hot pipe.....

haha yeah thanks KevC. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with my local guy that helps with the stuff I can't handle. At this point I'm beyond frustrated. So I am just trailering it up and taking it in to have the timing and fuel system checked and adjusted.

Thanks guys. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Alright well the bike is now officially in the shop. So that's where I am at! The guy said that it shouldn't take more than 3 hours to do everything at $75 an hour that's pretty reasonable. So I ok'd it.

Back