Where to begin?

Paddy399

Still Lots To Learn
Reaction score
Hello gents, I'm looking to the experts here to guide me on my path to XS heaven. I'm looking to build myself a bobber out of an XS 650 but other than looking on websites and stuff I really don't know what my best option is. I guess I should fill you guys in on what my plan currently entails.

Ideally, I'd like to find one in decent enough shape to cruise around the neighborhood on for the summer. It's been about 12 years since I've been on a bike and want to clear out the cobwebs before I start building a bike. Come fall/winter is when I would like to actually start the build. Some of the questions I have are 1) What is the best year(s) to work on? I'd like to do a hardtail so 2) Who makes the best hardtails? Right now I'm looking at TC Bros pretty much because they seem to be one of the bigger names (I know that doesn't mean they're the best) and because installed it doesn't seem too expensive. I guess one of the most important questions is 3) Are these bikes comfortable to ride for taller people (I'm 6'5")? Now, I know when modding a bike adjustments can be made to control and seat placement but in general are these smaller bikes? I've only seen one in person and it was in the back of a pick-up. Not exactly the best place to get a good perspective.

Any other comments or suggestions you guys could make would be greatly appreciated. I'm about as new as it gets here but I do have a mechanical/engineering background so I won't be completely lost, I hope.

At 6' 5", these bikes may be too small for you. The only way to know would be to find one in your area and see how you fit.

It would be difficult to find an XS650 for low dollars that is ready to ride around without a lot of work. Lets face it, most of these bikes have sat in barns and garages for many years and were likely in bad shape when they were abandoned. It takes time and money to bring them back to a reliable state. The wiring connectors are oxidized/corroded, and all need to be taken apart and cleaned. Carbs are plugged up inside, brakes/tires are worn out etc. etc.

THe "Tech" section at top of the page has tons of good information on these bikes.

1>The 80-83's would be the latest.
2> Haven't a clue
3> I'm 6'2 and the 650's don't seem as small as the brides 250 Virago. But not as big as the Dyna Glide. So medium sized I guess.

The Specials styling may "fit" you better. The headers were roundish making forward controls/pegs easier to fit and you are going to want those till you do something with the stepped seat. Unless you use the stock pegs and sit on the hump?
Good luck with the hunt. You may want to re-read RG's post though before buying.

Back