where to begin?

pastorchris

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1974 650, I have decided to do in the bratstyle. Any recommendations on wiring? Should I keep the original harness or start from scratch? Never done any wiring before so I am worried about the wiring the most. Any help appreciated.

that was my main worry also a few projects ago.
I was pretty paranoid about wiring from scratch but i ended up reusing some of the pieces from the original harness and it worked out great.
Just do it from scratch, that way you can get down to only a couple of wires here and there and it'll look much cleaner.
I ended up doing a "soft" wiring job at first, just splicing everything together to make sure its good, then went back and soldered all the wires and wrapped everything up.

Thanks for the advice. There are some things I don't even know what they are, Ignitor under battery? I thought I would buy a Clymer book, anything else you know might help?

First, decide what you want to end up with, and how 'custom' you really want to go, and your abilities can take you.
Than figure out if the stock harness has what you need, or if its way too much redundancy. Go from there.

Back