What gauge wire for starter motor?

Nelson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am finally getting around to wiring my XS650D/Velorex Sidecar outfit. It has been a long time since I started this project (life keeps getting in the way) and I have replaced the original wire harness with one from Mikes XS. I can't find the original wires from the battery to the starter solenoid and from the solenoid to the starter. No problem, I can make new cables no problem except I can't find any reference as to what gauge wire I should use for this application. Does anyone know what size cable I should use? Thanks

#6 cable works great.:thumbsup:
DSCN0186-001.JPG

I believe the starter is grounded through its' mounting bolts. The wire from the solenoid to the starter is to sent current to the starter. Isn't that correct?
I believe the starter is grounded through its' mounting bolts. The wire from the solenoid to the starter is to sent current to the starter. Isn't that correct?
What I use is 6 gauge for both the starter and battery to motor ground. Better to be too big than too small.
Thanks. I used 6 gauge for both the battery positive and negative cables running from a group 24 automotive battery in the sidecar trunk to the connections where the original bike battery was located. So I went ahead and used the same 6 gauge for the starter motor. The original battery box now contains two big green coils to replace the original coils. Thanks again for the advice.

Back