Where to put toolkit ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
i'm trying to find a sensible way to carry a small tool roll but there isn't really any gaps anywhere to fix/stuff/hang one . Anyone seen or made a toolbox to fit a standard bike or has any ideas would be appreciated.

I suppose I could stuff a couple of panniers on... but I always feel a loaded bike looks so un-cool don't you think ?.............

Attachments

• loaded.jpg
    loaded.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 266
$15.00 at the local bike shop for my bag.
that looks like a good solution JT and is very popular but what happens when you stop at the shops or in town ?
In the UK you'd have to unfasten it and carry your tool roll around with you or it would get pinched in 5 seconds flat.:(

Its the same with your helmet. You'd never risk leaving it with your bike or it would be gone when you returned.

Love the bike ... nice clean simple uncluttered design with some nice trick bits

Peanut, I think you found a market for this thing:

View attachment 55493

Many bikers over here mount a leather toolbag below the headlight.

just the ticket ! cut-n-shut with a barbeque and tool shop in the middle :bike:

Coincidentally minutes after posting this I saw a fantastic solution in this months Scooterist magazine .
Ammo box panniers !:thumbsup: they're the perfect size for tools and spare parts , they are incredibly tough and secure and easy to weld some brackets onto and a lock.
You could even carry a spare battery, map, drink and some emergency waterproofs etc

This is Rob Brittle's Lambretta chop ...a tribute to the friends and comrades lost in Afgan and Iraq.
It has 3x ammo boxes welded to the back with a bullet rack and camo paint job

Attachments

• 298_1474610837.jpg
    298_1474610837.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 304
In the UK you'd have to unfasten it and carry your tool roll around with you or it would get pinched in 5 seconds flat.:(

Hi peanut,
dunno about 5 seconds but during the movie at the Bristol Odeon?
Yeah, gone for sure.
These days they'da left the toolbag and taken the Cammy Velo but that was back when it was just an old bike instead of a high-priced antique.
Pity there's such stringent laws about the combo tool bag/nail bomb, eh?

Thanks and thankfully in the Midwest of the USA don't need to worry about helmets or tools being yoinked off the bikes.

...looks like someone reinvented the Bomerland?

Unbelievable. Fred, I swear, seems like not a day goes by without something unusual like that comes across my screen.

I understand that it takes an act of congress if you want to do a u-turn on that thing.

But, it should be able to haul peanut's 'tools & tea' kit...

On my bikes there is a compartment on the rear of the battery box, just big enough for the stock tool kit. Believe it or not you can rebuild your engine with that tool kit. Not easily but it can be done.
Leo

On my bikes there is a compartment on the rear of the battery box, just big enough for the stock tool kit. Believe it or not you can rebuild your engine with that tool kit. Not easily but it can be done.
Leo
thats the kind of thing i want really but maybe a bit bigger.
i like the idea of a lockable metal box attached to the bike so that I can leave a toolset with VOM etc and not have to keep removing it from the bike .

To be realistic most problems like punctures etc I'm never likely to be too far from home that I couldn't ring the missus to come out with my tow hitch rack :D but I like the idea of carrying a comprehensive toolkit

lambretta scooters have a lockable tool box of huge proportions and it really is useful. :wink2:

it wasn't ANLAF

I must confess it was me it was me Earnest Tea...

I knew it came from somewhere east of here. Thought you Floridians did orange juice.

I have my tools in a bag attached lower front so the engine cylinders get air flow.

Isn't there a Florida mandate that sez you must pack Coppertone SPF #30 in there?

Back